Sunday, August 13, 2017

Born Days-Be True tape release


  Cold and spacey, slow rhythmic, dark electronic Born Days had her tape release event at Elastic Arts 26 July for Be True. I was too late to see Lykanthea with Adele from Axons. But I got to see the whole set of Melissa Harris as Born Days. The pictures that I took for this were shit, so I'm going to include some older pictures here, going back to architecture. This is the other half of architecture. This band Melissa had with Rebecca Scott from Panda Riot. They were once very active under that name. I would always use Panda Riot as a way to explain how architecture sounds, which is essentially...."this here is how Rebecca sounds and this is how Rebecca sounds when she is over there...with Melissa". I so feel like shit  because that so negates Melissa from that first creation.   Why do I keep bringing up architecture when going on about Born Days? Its part of the equation and I wish to not exclude it in my recollections, my ramblings.
 Born Days strikes me at first as electronic, with a touch of  Katie Jane Garside opaque weirdness, fragile and still powerful. I fucking love Into The Sun. Everything I like about the band is plain and powerful in this track. Melissa's voice has a girl-in-a-box effect to it, a distance. This one takes me flying, gliding with a pulse of minimal effort. Its just me wanting to float among the clouds. And now Set Fire is starting to sink in.   Analogue  has the vintage 80's otherness of Book Of Love. They all got this intimate, minimal rhythm. I can dance to this shit all fucking night at Shimmer or Nocturna. At Elastic, we sat down. Almost no light on her. And they feel like they are your own private joy. The songs feel mysterious even as they are crystal clear, right in front of you. The quiet offspring of Otherness. Its the perfect band to hear and see play in that Twin Peaks bar near the end of some episodes on the new third season. They seem innocent of their mysteriousness. So I'm glad to finally have the music to listen.






  Before this show. I had this two track EP of Born Days and a few other shows on memory. So I originally know Melissa Harris from architecture, the project with Reb......ok, y'all know that already,.....cool. Well I just want all that history documented. At some point they were really busy as architecture. They played with some really cool bands. They covered Pregnant from R. Kelly. And its fucking genius. Its the only way I can stomach that track is by architecture taking out the piss.   And now here we are with Ms Melissa as Born Days and she is....great. Its just her with a keyboard, a candle in open air. When live, its best appreciated in dark stillness. And that is the effect. This feeling of you and this fucking candle. This was how it was set up at Elastic. So, I'm glad I have a few shows down with Born Days. So the pics I took may be too fucking dark, but I will also post here some from way fucking back.  Born Days will play Emporium 13 Sept, Wednesday with Jovan, Spaces of Disappearance, and Pixel Grip, and I'm counting the days to that. I've seen Jovan and she is a powerhouse. Elaine with Spaces brings the clear and singular beats and her awesome voice. Anyway, I hope to see more of Born Days.
Zig
 

No comments: