Friday, August 25, 2017

Willa Rae and The Minor Arcana/Impulsive Hearts








  I intended to include Axons officially but I missed them on this early show at Beat Kitchen and I just stayed for Willa Rae and The Minor Arcana. And they blew me away. I was sold with the raw rustic Bad Ideas, and I eventually found myself buying the shirt and tape. After that I was not so sure what I was going to do. I was already in the North Side and Danielle from Impulsive Hearts had already told me about this basement gig. Adele sang with Impulsive Hearts! And I just jumped several hours ahead...we will get to that.....somehow that lead to a basement show with Impulsive Hearts that included Willa Rae. A basement show....just the concept alone seems so random. I did not expect to see Willa Rae twice, and it was awesome! The two venues could not be any more different from each other. This basement had them in the back where it seems like a closet. A fish eyed lens would make it worse....but cool.  Thank you Danielle for the 5$. I think Willa Rae is from Detroit. Her music is rustic, frontier-western sounding...raw, fucking power. I don't recall by now which tracks I heard from her, I just recall that I loved it. And I actually saw her play two very different venues...a fucking basement. 
 
 
  I am more mindful when I dance to Impulsive Hearts when they play MDB.  Lyrics are grim and chilling. It reminds me of Til Tuesday's Voices Carry. And I dance to that too whenever they have an 80's night. Aimee Mann is awesome too, and she trained in boxing too. Tell her now to her face that her music is weepy and depressing. I'm stepping back.  OK, back to Impulsive Hearts. Hmm, And still the music has you dancing with its full weight. Its the coolest that I get to read lyrics, and get into tracks all over again. And I got to witness this moment of Danielle in this basement with Adele as support. And I got to hang out and just chill around them between performances. Those are brief and so its nice to just chill with them. "Do Not say stupid shit around them" was like a prime directive that repeated like a chant in my head, when I was around them.   So I mostly listen.....and avoid appearing weird. I try to sit around like a stray neighborhood cat they are cool with in their presence. Anyway, its way cool being around them. I am a fan of theirs and it just explodes the mind that I can have these green room moments with them. I try to say something intelligent....wait, best not....listen. They are the local artists that I fucking hear all the time, not just because I go see them at their shows but also 'cause I just have them on my ipod. I have them on regular rotation. I support because I wish this music to not disappear, or be forgotten. Yeah....that is another fucking chant that I actually say a lot here all the time. That is the music that I think best represents me.  They say best what I cannot articulate in words. They say it in song
Zig






No comments: