Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Jovan,Pixel Grip,Spaces of Disappearance, Born Days













  I wanna mythologize this whole fucking night. I arrived early, or on time at Emporium and so  saw everything, and finished the night at Late Bar. Pixel Grip DJ's were going to do a set after playing Emporium.  Late Bar being this place founded by Neo exiles is way west of Belmont.  Late Bar had no cover that night and did get this influx of people from Emporium that trickled slowly, then to a full dance floor. Late Bar had this queer goth disco night.  What? That's how they called it, and this awesome band that played Emporium would DJ later at Late Bar.
  I'm so fucking into Born Days. I'm glad I caught most of it. There I saw Elaine from Spaces Of Disappearance. She would play later. Elaine is awesome. Her beats are singular and resonant dance floor tracks. They make you move like its the first time something moved you.  But here she is in the audience and let me say hi to her. She is the coolest. I see her regularly at shows. Adele from Axons arrived after Born Days was done and so was Danielle. Alright so I'm on Spaces.... Dick Cheney In The Light, one of the songs she played. Its meant to vilify Cheney and now look at what we got now with fucking Trump, Sessions......anyway the song is a great dance floor track. Elaine would be at Late Bar with the other Emporium people.
  By the time I would enter Late Bar, it was as a newly rabid fan for Pixel Grip. Wednesday 13 September at Emporium. To have all these bands diverse as I don't know you, but all local it was like once in that rare moment. So I fucking went. Elaine was there, and so was Axons Adele and Impulsive Hearts Danielle. They support each others shows all the time. In seems to be a common enough cool as hell occurrence I get to witness.  I am in the audience for all of them. Jovan came with a full band, had us all movin' and waving hands at her Emporium set. Oh, she's a rapper, yeah. We was all dancing to her. And later she partied at Late Bar! In The Sun from Born Days Melissa Harris played. Ok, that was abrupt, jumping from Jovan to Born Days, I'm just following the rapids of thoughts in my head about this.
  Be True is the name of the six track EP, just released. Born Days was first. There is this simmering intensity that is in her signature. There is the weight of it just being her on stage alone with all her instruments. Her stage is always dim, dark. Cold slow, dark, intense electronic, like a minimal Phosphor, or Linea Aspera. It just holds you to dance relaxed.  The dark lining seems natural and not intentional.....what I mean, I think this can have a natural goth leaning audience. Pixel Grip played last and they fucking killed it. I came to the after-party at Late Bar a fan of them. I felt taken back to when I first liked disco as a kid. I'm not saying that I am actually taken back to an actual memory, but that feeling of liking something for the first time, and that feeling washing over you. I know I said something similar about Spaces, and I can say that about everything I see and find resonant. But that does not water down to feeling when I say it about PG. And this night I was bombarded with awesome bands. Normally I may just like one of the bands and the rest no. This night was stacked with one great local act after another, and on top of that the after-party at Late Bar with Elaine and Pixel Grip. In the midst of all the shit that is nationally going on and beyond, it amazes me that I can have these little moments away from it. The individuals mentioned here help me tremendously in seeing my way through it.
Zig

No comments: