Monday, September 4, 2017

Last night at Resistor on Lincoln











  The Monday night of the eclipse I went to see Axons with Impulsive Hearts, and Emily Davis. The show was at Emporium. I arrived on time to see Emily and then Danielle. It was a good time. Its no revelation that I am way into Impulsive Hearts. It has that summer vibe you miss when fall arrives, makes you really appreciate fleeting moments. Summer, more than any other season has that feeling of "you better enjoy it while it lasts".  I know we saver all four seasons for what they uniquely represent, but when do we want winter to last into fucking March or April. Alright....so Impulsive Hearts jamming away, summer vibe, I'm all into it. In the audience was Sophie. Yes! From Videotape and now Fauvely. Y'all are getting so much better at this. And perhaps y'all are wondering why the pics are not of Sophie, Danielle or Adele. I'll get to that, for now I want to crystallize that as a common mental wandering for later on.
  She was scheduled to play Cafe Mustache that Friday with her band Fauvely, a minimal set I think.
  I am way into Fauvely. So here I am talking to Sophie, and so many words escape me. I fucking can't even properly tell her why I like the band. Its music that makes me think and wander inwardly. We talked about Born Days and how awesome Melissa Harris is with her new band. The song In The Sun is beautiful slow hypnotic and cold wave-ish. I can dance to it like fucking Audrey from Twin Peaks. So even as I choked on my dissertation on why Fauvely is awesome, right in front of Ms Sophie, I managed to express my intention to go see her gig at Cafe Mustache. This was how it was going to happen. I was going to squeeze two events in one night. I was going to catch Sophie's minimal Fauvely set on Milwaukee Ave near California, and then run to the second important night Resistor's last night at up on Lincoln Ave near Western Ave. Here and there indeed my mind did wander to Fauvely, the show I missed on Cafe Mustache. Yet I did not regret at all going to Resistor. We bouncing and dancing to Dream House, I think was Ami DJ for the night.  We stretched it for as long as we could. We are old and responsible, so it wasn't that long.
  Rani Young was saying goodbye to its first location before moving to Belmont. She was performing a mini set of Girl Detective, her old band and then Dream House! Her Siouxsie tribute band. That was going to be a fucking massive party! Girl Detective I saw perhaps once and missed her other shows. And I kinda let it fuck with me. So this performance from Rani as Girl Detective would be rare. Still.... I was going to catch both of these fucking events, I keep telling myself. So this is my ambition for that Friday, and it is what I was thinking as I was somehow blinded by Sophie's smile. "I am making your show and this one other show...its going to fucking happen"......I didn't actually say that to Sophie, remember I was choking and tripping on my words. Friday arrives and its looking difficult. What is more likely to happen is I would spend precious time going from one place to another and not fully enjoy either because I would be looking at the clock. So I decided. I would go to one place and stay.
  It would be Resistor. I mean, this is Rani's venue I would be directly supporting. I put on my best preserved Siouxsie shirt. So I arrived on time to see Rani do her Girl Detective set. That's when she had her Siouxsie shirt on. And it was great. It seemed as if everyone was in black for this. The whole fucking night was one beautiful impacting moment. Rani belted out this power set with Dream House. And I got to hang with these people. Talked with Mark, Ami and Rani. Even as I enjoyed these times with all these people, my mind would steer flashes of Fauvely, the band I missed. It had to happen. I knew Fauvely would play again sooner. The next Resistor will be way bigger and near some significant goth friendly venues. It will be on Belmont a short walk east of Late Bar. The grand thing about Resistor for me was the inclusive, supportive vibe it just had. This for me is where I saw for the first time a lot of different artists, most recently Adrian H And The Wounds.  This one December night.....I remember Adele played just the right Leonard Cohen track, to reflect and collect this fucked up feeling we all kinda had, Everybody Knows. Donna from Beat Drun Juel was there, not to perform, in the audience. But....I know abrupt, but back to this last night for Resistor on Lincoln, and there were a lot of people. In its brief existence were some impacting flashes. Anyway...these pics are from the very last night, a Friday. Rani and Ami I am happy to call them friends.  
  And there is something so powerful about having Dream House belt out some old abrasive Siouxsie punk for the last night of awesome for Resistor. I think there will be more from Rani. She is in a new band. Ami has more from Solemn Meant Walks. Recently they released the new video for Said The Night. They guerrilla recorded the video on House On The Rock. Whatever the video caught behind Ami was just spontaneously there. This is harder to do than you think. No one around you knows your recording for a song. You lip sync to a song that is playing just in your head. And the video turned out great. So I got to chill with these people and in researching for this post I just binged on some videos of SMW, and Girl Detective. On the one hand, I feel the sting of missing all these shows posted, but hey, I can see them now and the official Youtube SMW vids. For that last Friday 25 August, the crowd was good and supportive. I went wanting to experience and document this fleeting thing.  Zig

No comments: