Thursday, December 7, 2017

Maria Taylor


  I've been having these CDs from her Lynn Teeter Flower and 11:11 for fucking years. And I bought them because during this live music festival on Belmont Ave had Maria Taylor play. This storm that started brewing since just before she played, finally snuffed out her set early with one gust of wind, water and some lightning. The downpour started almost immediately after. A small crowd of people gathered near one of the private entrances to some building to avoid the sudden downpour with random threats of lighting strikes. Clearly these are here to see Maria Taylor but now, the rain started. Some of us huddled by this entrance where its dry, just sat and waited for this rain gust. And we just sit the rain out. For us the set was cut short. But it was done. We just did not want to get wet, the rain was fierce. The clouds that gathered just before were darkened gray and intimidating. There was no way the rain was not coming, and it did. And now here we are, hiding away from it near the entrance of some condo building. And then in comes Maria Taylor with the other two performers she had on stage. She is gonna continue the set right here, spontaneously! And everyone there just howled and lost their shit, and gathered around her. This was my first and most powerful memory and I believe I bought the CD's later, because of this. It was possible I bought them from Borders on La Grange....sorry, the mind does drift. And I did not follow up after that as impacting and heavy an impression as it was to see Maria Taylor coming over to her audience like that.
  Oh, yeah. The first song that hooked me before or after that one iconic moment was Xanax. Yeah, I know how fucking late this is. Some things its good for them to hit you late, it gives the music that longevity, timelessness even, as it also begins to shape its place in its time period. They begin to represent their time. The later half of the 2000's. I got the pictures and I wanted an excuse to put them up. I got the music, I may as well recall here how I came to like this artist. This live youtube video of Xanax I liked. She is a sweet folk rockera that still played Clean Getaway with a bunch of girls as her out of sync chorus. Yeah, that was hilarious! Maria Taylor had to yell..."not yet!" as they were trying to chime in. She was not mean about it, though. It was a funny detail to an already impacting moment. I'll pull out Lynn Teeter Flower and 11:11 from time to time, to listen to what they captured. So how do I sell this without falling into this same old story....a cool story, but let's say its a retired horse living on a fixed income, not a dead horse I'm trying to whip back to life. How do I sell this in a toxic hyper masculine world. So I have to create new moments, and remember them as I hear Speak Easy.  Its sweet and feels spawned from the same cabaret garage pop period as Agent Ribbons only more acoustic. Eventually I listen to If Only on Youtube, and catch up to her new music.
Zig

No comments: