Saturday, December 30, 2017

Panda Riot/Lightfoils at Resistor












  Rani's Resistor is of special significance here.  Its already an awesome place. And this is Rani from Dream House and Girl Detective and soon to be another band!  The space is this special fucking place that is a music venue part of the time. Rani also teaches art there. I've been seeing shows there and DJ events. The name Resistor is well deserved here.
  Seeing Panda Riot and Lightfoils there were but some in the convergence of singular elements, that by themselves would be awesome enough. And now all colliding together. This makes this night some thing to craft into a narrative that I hope you shall read through. I write this ahead of both their shows.  Lightfoils Hmm, is that too honest, too vulnerable....anyway, I gotta put it together before I post the pictures.  Where I eventually parked I was closer to the bookstore/record store Bucket O' Blood. My stroll down Belmont was slow, memories of Ruby Fray and Vail in the same night the Wednesday before, catching up. In the drive I was listening to Ruby Fray's Photograph finally on CD. It was also the chill out song on the way back. This fevered dream has me remember the music for the drive as part of the experience.
  I remember this like a field trip for Pee Wee's Playhouse, where in this fevered dream I meet all these cool people at this fucking cool place where I see the fucking Pandas and Lightfoils. Julie Taymor directs while Ken Russell is on vacation.
   This delirium is still ascending when walking into the Lightfoils set. In this moment Resistor's size and capacity changes. Seems huge, as I see the singer through a crowd around her. Resistor is not that fucking big, but my memory has this massive space between me at the front door and the singer on stage with an audience in between. A place is gonna play tricks on ya' when the whole fucking experience is Pee Wee's Playhouse on location and Julie wants to run the memory like its Titus. I was happy to see there was a crowd. This is good for Resistor, the place where such convergences can occur. I was happy for the band. They are friends and it feels great to see an audience for them. So, ok...bigger on the inside, got it. Lightfoils on stage now, hmm....I don't know which song I walked into but, not knowing has its perks. The fluid memory keeps all songs a possibility. I can say that I walked into How It Is , or Diastolic but that would be bullshit. But I did walk into a song of theirs, and they all sound like home because it is music I always choose to hear.  Hierarchy I play it all the time, and it is what they played from. I can list down the tracks I like, all the way back to....shut up. I can lay different variations of the same fucking ......praise. They are great and both albums are great. The best to drive. Its dream pop that is forward driving powerful as well as sweet. They are not boring to hear. So as I'm walking in,  find a space among the crowd. There was no point finding a space in the front, just stand back and.... Right next to me turns out are my friends Jocelyn and Julius from Walking Bicycles. The fucking Bicycles are here seeing Lightfoils! Hmm, at least that is how I remember it. That's how they fuck with you on location at Pee Wee's...... with cameo appearances.
  So after the Lightfoils set J and J were about to head out to another concert, but I got to see them, talk to them before they left. However brief, their appearance was welcomed and unexpected. I don't recall what we talked about, but I was happy to see them. Before the Pandas were Brief Candles from Wisconsin I think. I liked their set. I wondered to and from the merch table restraining myself from buying one more Panda shirt, another Lighfoils shirt.  In February 2018 The Pandas release the vinyl of there latest....anyway that stray full thought still anounces. Its a fragile thing to hold a DIY space together and so to see the bands play there its this wider community they are holding together.  So finally the Pandas play their set. Its all from their newest.
  The way they set up merch tables, even for shit you already got, they are still tempting. The shirts...I don't have....later, fucking later. I finally can drive back home along and listen to the physical CD for Infinity Maps. They are friends and I shall see them again. I got the music that I can ponder on.  Gold Lines they seem to have on Youtube. And that is great. This was the very show I was at. I so was fucking wondering if the vinyl release will come with lyrics to read. I don't know. It just helps in getting into a song. But all of them are fucking brilliant. Rebecca Scott's voice is clear over well spaced instruments. It was a good sounding concert to record.
  And its great to see they made a proper video of Arrows. I think Ghost Adventures did a show there. Anyway, that is totally unrelated. And I was driving home to Ghosting. They retain that wake up, good morning sunshine brightness and wonder that I felt from She Dares All Things.  That wonder reshapes and strides ahead more powerfully and confident with this new album that I like seeing live all the fucking time. Seeing this band live right now is best because.....its local Chicago shoegaze, dream pop that is active and circulating. People can see them and talk to them still at the merch  table. We kinda still are in that fucking phase. I can't believe I know these mother fuckers, and they let me walk around them. Something this awesome I am grateful to have them close. What makes them shoegaze? You ask? ......Really? You know, don't fuck this up. And you can look that up on your fucking phone and see if it matches what you see live with these mother fuckers. It was just great to see them at Resistor. A tunnel of memories will be the weight of seeing these few pictures.
  This is Rani's place and I have to note the many elements that made the night the historic one for me. The bands, the surprise cameo of my friends from Walking Bicycles....and then the fucking after party at the Pandas. I was like, really? This was a gifted night, for me to see. These collected moments, they kinda deserve to be remembered about, at least for me and I prop up the memory nice and pretty. Wow.....I've never been so directly honest.
Zig
  

No comments: