Saturday, May 5, 2018

Fee Lion



   Her slightest movements display a commanding stage presence that you can see through the fog's layer of mysterious. I was already into all her songs on the six track EP. Don't even ask which one of the six. They are dark, sleek, disco. Darker than say Golden Filter. Hmm. I think I may have said that before about someone else, well then, this one fits that description as well. Dark, sophisticated disco. I hesitate to add the word retro. There is only a slight nod if that. Only because it reminds me of Golden Filter and Chromatics and no further back than that. I'm not taken way back to 70's disco, or even Italo disco. Its glamorous and yet not cheesy, just way fucking cool. 
   These live shows brand onto memory.  Seeing Fee Lion so briefly in that venue on the 25th floor of Virgin Hotel, made us more determined to see her whole show at The Hideout. Shows there tend to start early, so we were on time to this motherfucker. It made a big difference not having to think about how soon to leave to the next show. We can just be fully in the present moment at the Fee Lion Hideout show.  It is such a small space to behold the compressed power of Fee Lion.  I like how she covers In The City from Chromatics. The song just suits her very well. I was right in front of the audience, and all people besides me seemed lost in their minds dancing and watching her. It was not just the music that set off the crowd, it was also the little movements she did. A performer on stage sometimes loses her shit and jumps the crowd, roll around the floor, however the fucking moment hits, not Fee Lion. Part of the fascination is in seeing her in full control as everyone around her loses their shit upon hearing a new song of hers. And this would be after the audience is already sold. All six EP tracks I've played up and down, in heavy rotation since seeing her with Ela Minus. She plays them and in between these two...I think two new songs she played.
  So...let me gather myself. If she can cover Chromatics, that says something, right. Fee Lion is kinda for you.  Each song seems to have that feel of being the only song worth hearing. Each track with it's own identity, its own balls to be the only one you like. And as one song imprints and you think that one will be your favorite, in comes the next and the next. Vision is brilliant! RE is brilliant! Ad/just is brilliant! You hear them in the car long enough over and over again. They get built up. And each one heard is its own separate concert once you hear it and see it live. You recognize each song in less than a second.. She plays them, dances in this way that just shows she is in command while everyone in the audience loses their shit. Fee Lion has this stage presence. You know how some of the best stand up comics don't laugh at their own jokes while everyone awash in laughter, and agrees and is in the palm of that comics hand. That to me was Fee Lion live. Well...I only glanced here and there, and I did observe in glances people dancing, carried in the moment sort of. She was really nice afterwards at the merch table, I bought the shirt. All of us that went together came back in a state of bliss. I'm so happy to have her live in Chicago.
Zig

No comments: