Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fauvely/Casual Hex





  Fauvely while still owning her hmmm sad, thoughtful side, she can fucking snap your neck with some righteous anger.  She once told some motherfuckers in the back to shut the fuck up....well Sophie didn't say it like that, but she did call them out for being loud in her own fucking show. This was at the now defunct Quenchers, on Fullerton and Western. The place was known for all the different kind of beers....if you are into that....and it was a great music venue. Fauvely shows were intimate for quieter, smaller spaces. But, now, she's played the fucking Bottle a few times. I get happy when I see her getting written up.  I've seen her on Chicago Tribune.  And...I think I've read shit during her Videotape days, well the band as a whole. Her Chicago history stretches back. Her upcoming work will take us to Savannah, where she is from. Yeah, I assume Georgia. I say sad girl as a sort of net that includes Cross Record, Angel Olsen.... "blues" has long been taken.  And you can't call everything shoegaze just because they were once in a shoegaze band.  And there is a something beyond sadness and vulnerability expressed with Fauvely. Yeah...the others too. Can we just stick to....thanks.  Fauvely is....thoughtful and self-critical. The world as described in her music seems to begin in the mind. It begins with what's wrong with her and not with the world in reaction to her.  They make these vulnerable moments into triumphs, journeys that we can admit to take because they were brave enough to say the words of their own journeys that blow up as universal. 
  I've been missing show after mother fucking show, bursting in like the Kool-aide guy, all late about it.  All showered and rosy, and feeling stupid, I want to leave before anyone notices. But they fucking notice.  The last gig I missed was at The Owl.  This one at Hideout was a must, and I made it.  She played "Watch Me Over Complicate This" and the crowd was balls deep into it. The way it was played on stage, it was clear to me this was an audience of fans that knew what was before them.  And its my favorite performance of this song.  It was all guitars and no drummer and it worked so well, it renewed my enthusiasm for it.  I was happy to have the audience share in this.  Often times you don't know if a crowd was won over.  I've been in shows in which they don't betray any collective feeling. But this one night at Hideout, we all got it. Fauvely is awesome, and they let her know it. I think that was the first time I've been to such a show for Fauvely. 
  It was later when Alice her friend and former member of Fauvely took the stage with her new band, the neo psychedelic Casual Hex.  Before joining Casual Hex she had her own solo project Dorsia, and that was fucking cool too. I love how subtle and effortless they just put me in that set of Mad Men.  I felt the pull of that period even with Dorsia. And now I feel genuinely warm to her new band.  This was my second time seeing them.  Its plain to see their psychedelic roots, they are still a modern youthful band. I am really getting into their three song Demo.  Casual Hex for me is a natural extension for what Alice was already inclined to do. Dorsia already sounded very psych to me even as she was also minimal. She was great in Fauvely too, playing violin.  I'm glad I saw them early shows, because it allows you to enjoy a more total picture of the music.  I get to enjoy better all the bands knowing this back history.  When Sophie brought in Alice I did not see Dorsia or Casual Hex coming out of this. I am happy to see a more complete picture. When you see Star Wars....any of the fucking movies, you see them in the context of that wider story.  Oh look! Here we have a picture of Ms Alice during her Fauvely days!! Anyway...I feel happy and fortunate that I get to witness all this and so that always compels me to document it, or else I see it disappear.
Zig

No comments: