Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Fee Lion at Smart Bar



  Smart Bar has this weird night called Research and Development, usually on Thursdays. I've gone mostly for the bands they have play and not so much for the DJ music. I have to give credit for the bands they get to play there. New Canyons, HIDE, I can't seem to recall beyond that right now but I feel like I've been here for more than that. The stage is small enough to concentrate the potency of FEE LION. I have to honestly say, I dislike the DJ music for this night. It is a matter of suffering through it. I try hard to examine why I always dislike the music for this specific night, Research and Development. Ricardo was right there and even he could dance to it only so much. I'm trying like hell to like this DJ music......no, still can't. It was no cover, so that was way fucking cool. I got there around 11. The stage is already set up but no sign as to when she will play. No urgency for it. I hear the music the DJ plays. I'm fucking ready for Fee Lion. I think it was 12:45 when she started. I'm sounding like a little bitch about it....sorry, I was just bewildered by the music played. Its actually normal for the band to play late at Smart Bar for this specific night.
  A clear and powerful voice floats elegantly over thick, movement-inducing vibrating bass and beats. The bass out of her live set will vibrate organs, so pack them ears. It may remind you of shit you liked before, but there is this deeper sophistication she brings. Fee Lion comes wearing her signature black latex. Her songs are creations that do not telegraph their siblings. When they make you dance its because they resonated with you against your most cynical self. Its dance music that is dark enough to get played in Nocturna. I know Sarah has a favorite song, don't remember which it is. In short, Fee Lion gets played in goth clubs, and draws fans from that side. For fucks sake the latex is black, right?! I've seen her as a vendor in Sarah's back yard sale/ social event.
  Sometimes I am very familiar with who she will perform with like with Zanias, Visceral Anatomy. And I got there on time for all three. Sometimes, who Fee Lion will play with is a complete mystery like with Virgin Hotel. We barely stayed a few songs and then off we went to see HIDE. But while we were there I was observant of the crowd. And I was guessing they were there for the headliner. But my point is that she is drawing fans from all over, and outside the dark goth umbrella. Oh...yeah, we are at Smart Bar.....waiting for...When I walked in it was hard to guess who was there to see Fee Lion. Yeah, I saw a few possible industrial heads. But when she started her fans seemed to come out of the wood work. There was of course the friends she had around the crowd.
  I was in the front, right there, and every time I'm brought back simultaneously to her shows at Cole's, Hideout, Beat Kitchen, Virgin Hotel....Hideout again! I know she has played way more times before. I recall reading her name but not looking her up. I may be wrong but I think she's played Frontwoman Fest....I've been to all of them and I missed that! That would fucking burn more, but seeing her a bunch kind of makes up for it.
Zig

No comments: