Monday, October 29, 2018

Tambourina/Whimsical/Panda Riot/Lightfoils/New Canyons

  Well, who I saw was Tambourina, April the lead singer. She had no merch for her new band, and so what I took home was from her old band Glowfriends.  So that is where I flash back to as I recall the memory of seeing her as Tambourina. This was at Chop Shop on North Ave.  It was during Windy City Crash Pop on Saturday 29th Sept. Cory from Panda Riot and Lightfoils I think organized this whole event. Steve went with me. Well, he drove. Right. I went with him.  He picked me up and met my sisters as I got ready. We had a nice drive listening to music we both have collected. We were still going on about the Still Corners show we saw at Beat Kitchen.  Alright...so we were fucking there at Chop Shop...., and Tambourina plays and she was generous with the merch we bought from her. I cam home with I think 4 CDs. Two comps and two Glowfriends. She invited us to Kalamashoegazer.  Hmm...well she was handing out flyers and we struck a conversation about it. This next one, Ringo Deathstarr headlines and Ariel from Chicago is playing there too. Kalamashoegazer, I've known if it. I think Panda Riot played there. I hear their crowd reacts well, not stoic as Chicago. This was my first time seeing Tambourina. I forgot what order the bands played. It was a fucking marathon that started early and yet it felt well paced. The security guy said the bands were each running around 15 minutes late, but it did not feel long, laborious.  Maybe it's just my shoegaze legs. We caught most of the acts. I think I missed Ariel. Its been long enough for me to forget the order of who played when. I just know that Lightfoils played last.  Whimsical was there...oh, and New Canyons!  It was during a show at Smart Bar that finally broke my filter and made me a fan of them. And on CD I really got into End Color. So Tambourina is now on the radar and it will have me backtrack into their Glowfriends era and listen to that more and the two CDs Gather Us Together and To Have And To Hold.  I already found songs that I like there. The Pandas I think played some new music (along with their latest Infinity Maps) as did Lighfoils.....they got the new music coming out soon if not already.
Whimsical, Tambourina and New Canyons have new work on the way as well. I am familiar enough with the Panda's latest, that when they play something barely new, I notice. They were great songs is all I can recall about them. The same with Lightfoils.




   Krissy Vanderwoude I see all the time at Sarah and Philly's Shimmer. Hell, all the Chicago bands have gone there just to hang. It started to dawn on me at some point she was in a band and which one. I did not explore it, I figured this would fully reveal itself in time and seeing Krissy on stage was a big reveal, a big deal, because all the band members live apart I think. So to get them together like this when they are all are adults living separate lives, its like booking the fucking sun and moon to eclipse.....oh and that comet better streak across the sky on cue and fuck it up like in rehearsal.  I think they practiced once before playing for real this one time, and they sounded so fucking cool.  
  It really is incredible that we have a night for so specialized in music and we got the people that play in that very kind of music.  Right now I am speaking about hanging around in Shimmer. They hang out in that very bar. Those are a lot of things that do not necessarily happen together and so it's cool that it does. Its that fucking small a world sometimes. I came about shoegaze and dream pop by way of my goth friends. This connection may not exist for many. But for some this is part of a related continuum. It becomes apparent when you see the same core group of people at the industrial shows, darkwave, coldwave, goth, and shoegaze gigs. There are tethers connecting all of these. Its no accident the friends that do club nights like Nocturna, La Petite Mort, Bittersweet also do Shimmer.  They see and perhaps even create and nurture these connections. And there are also barriers and filters between them.  Shoegaze music tends to have a sedative effect on some of my industrial friends.  I am glad for those that walked me through those filters.  And perhaps that was.....all very subjective.
   I bought Steve a Panda Riot shirt.  I felt I had to make it up for not making it to Beach House, he already bought that ticket. We looked through them and discovered the last of the first batch of shirts they made for the second CD Black Pyramid. It's charcoal gray almost black. Its the first shirt they made period, and so for me it was a favorite.  I hope we don't walk into Shimmer wearing that same damn shirt. These are going to be our relics as we age I believe. The shirts we collect from the bands we see. These shirts are part of that tangible culture, that I wish to preserve....and wear 'cause they are fucking cool as shit. Perhaps I will have more to say on this event but I need to post before this month ends and lose myself in another rant.
Zig

No comments: