Monday, November 26, 2018

Fauvely at DC Torium

  Fauvely played DC Torium this past Sunday 18 November. Her latest release Tides is out as a cassette with a download code. And it's been picked up by Diversion Records. So I am happy that this is happening.  This is high culture for me. It should be known. Sunday 2 December Fauvely is playing Sub T's downstairs with Dorsia! Y'all gotta hear her live.  Waning, I think I heard live, hits me the way Cross Record did the first time. I am Beavis discovering something deep for the first time. A faint feeling of unworthiness washes over and past. Then you begin to feel accepted by what you secretly identify with. This was meant for me too. I am glad to have seen this from the start. I marvel at how its grown, and I how I have grown from hearing it. I don't want to overstate shit. But I have collected memories from seeing these shows. Memories accumulate easiest around the music heard during that time. And Fauvely is deep....yeah  is what I was getting around to saying, if you don't like deep, this ain't for you. This is deep thinking, too many edible eating Stuart Smally-gaze that gets more assertive with each new gig.
  The track Break really stood out for me when she played it live at The Hideout. The crowd seemed to know it and cheered her on.. they seemed to know her music. She belted out the track like a drinking song. It just came to life in this unexpected way. All of Watch Me works for small intimate rooms, but those same tracks can assert a bigger space, especially live. And now Tides begins already owning that bigger space, and still being so fucking cool about it. She makes being pensive sound cool. Savannah, Georgia is where she is originally from, and so to name a track Savannah is significant. I am already a fan. It comes loaded, yeah. I guess its Alice's violin in the video that slightly pulls towards a rural setting. From there Sophie's voice haunts the fucking swamp. Do they got swamps in Georgia? The guys from Ghost Adventures would fucking shit themselves if they heard this from their little spirit box. The violin alone? Someone is pissing themselves. So its dark and pensive and slightly places you near PJ Harvey's White Chalk. Hmmm, alright....not quite as scary, but just as serious. The pensive tension gives it the weight of something more dramatic like a movie score.
  Beyond going by how her voice sounds, eventually I will figure out the lyrics beyond more than some disconnected phrases. And going back to PJ's White Chalk, for a bit. PJ had to hover her voice in the higher end of her range with slower minimal instruments. With Sophie, floating and hovering while deep in the exploration of your mind is kind of what Fauvely already does. No, I am not saying PJ isn't deep. I'm saying before fucking Chalk she was different. And minimal almost acoustic, bedroom is kind of where fucking Fauvely started.  Yet.... Savannah is still already a different animal from Watch Me. She leans over the window, is bolder. Her brooding is loud with Haunts Me.  By then you know she just need a bigger garage to park the rest of the cars. So now I already have a spot for I Am the Morning. I was already into High Hopes before buying the cassette. Its great to attach a few live memories to this specific track. There's actually where I can hear these songs and read a detailed story on each song...I gotta take some time reading through.....So looking forward to seeing Fauvely and Dorsia again!
Zig







No comments: