Thursday, December 11, 2008

Alla,

This is Ms Lupe Martinez, lead singer for this massive local band Alla.  The name is pronounced "ayyah".  It's Spanish for "out there".  These pictures are from the second time seeing them.   I was driving one day listening to public radio.  They were interviewing Alla, and they played something on air.  I loved it.  The music would have caught me on it's own, but I recall enjoying this interview with Alla.  The name just stuck to my head.  I felt a kinship with them because they seemed acutely aware of being on the border of many worlds.  I saw based on what I like in music how his band can have an audience with those that like their goth black and their shoegaze psychedelic.  And Every single bastard that goes to see La Lupita, Maldita, Caifanes, Arterciopelados, should love this band.  Where the fuck are all of you?  Are you going to wait until someone else validates this band before you?  
   A midwestern city makes for a very different type of Latino.  Jorge and Angel and Lupe are all Mexican-American, and are all from Chicago.  Jorge Ledezma, the lead song writer and guitarist for the band I believe was the one being interviewed.  Jorge referenced all kinds of bands that I have never heard of, influences I could not write down, 'cause I was driving.  It gives the final product that he has this depth that you only get if you listen to this interview.  Now I got all these bands I want to look up.  Public Radio has sold me on all kinds of music.   If say you like shoegaze, but are currently getting burned out.  Step out of that comfort zone and get into this local band Alla.  You know how psychedelic Broadcast can sound.  Didn't I already translate what Alla means?    They will be playing Subterranean next Thursday at 8pm I think.  
Their CD is titled "Es Tiempo", meaning "It's Time".  I will write more on them but this post has been a draft for a while now.  I will write more on them since their music has been playing in my head long before their CD was available.  And now it's out.  
Kaspar-Zig


No comments: