Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Long Blondes play Chicago




I've had these bright blue pictures of The Long Blondes singer for some time now. This is Ms Katie Jackson, the lead singer.  She was so fucking pale and sky blue, it was like starring straight into the sun.  I almost don't believe her to be a brunette.   They performed here at the Logan Square Auditorium, on a Saturday.  It was a nice long leisurely Saturday, I forgot when exactly.  Watching this band was the main thing, but it was not the only thing.  I spent the late afternoon with some fellow goth friends on Chicago's southside.  We ate vegan burgers on a barbeque.  When you know you have the day off, you wanna take full advantage.  You want the day to be long.  And so these pictures of just one person, represent to me the whole of what I did that day and night.  These pictures represent more than just Katie Jackson of the Long Blondes.  I recall the frustrating drive to the venue.  I was running late and I missed the first band Bang Bang, (an awesome Chicago band).  When you are late or at least you believe you are, you can't even enjoy the drive to your destination.  Logan Square Auditorium looks like it once was a school or something.  It just feels like it once served a different purpose, but a good building is a good building.  
  I always have the intent of uploading pictures and so forth and here are some.  The Long Blondes are from Sheffield England.  I hope I spelled the city right.  They came here touring for their second album "Couples".  They came to my attention because they are on a label that has a connection to Queen Adreena, Rough Trade.  The Long Blondes have drawn comparisons to Blondie which I must say is spot on.  The punk and the disco elements are there.  It's the disco that makes the punk or post-punk dance-worthy.  It's the post-punk that gives the disco it's rough edges.  Damn, I think I can say that about a lot of bands that I listen to, but you know what that is an equation that works and The Long Blondes do it well enough to evoke memories of other bands and yet they retain their own identity.  And you know what.  If one is fond of this band, then I believe I can convince you about others.  The Long Blondes can be this gateway drug if you will, that can lead your attention towards locals Bang Bang, and The Dials.  
"Erin O'Connor" has that punk/disco balance right.  It starts off rough, dark and fast.  It's one of the songs I was waiting to hear from them.  This is one of the songs that convinced me to buy it (when I knew I shouldn't, Damn you Reckless Records).   "Here Comes The Serious Bit" did not convince me on it's own, but I grow ever fonder of it as time passes.  I needed that visual stamp that the concert provided and they played it.   I believe it was the first song they sang.  Katie Jackson was lovely in her sky blue outfit.  There were other songs that she sang that I guess were on the previous CD.    





No comments: