Monday, December 15, 2008

I:Scintilla at Darkroom





So these last few are from Sunday 14 December, at Darkroom on Chicago Ave....in Chicago, as well as some from Brauerhouse in Hillside 28 October of 2007.  
This was I:scintilla's first performance since coming back from touring with Cruxshadowes and Ayria.  I've seen them perform many times now, and what keeps me going when you know every song already is how different each new performance is.  And indeed I did feel the difference.  Perhaps it's out of necessity.  You have to find that fresh performance within, and make it new before the audience.  And yet this is a home crowd you are playing for.  To some degree, it's just us, no pressure.  I like it when a band plays a lot locally.  It speaks volumes about how they regard their home crowd.  It shows that the home crowd is loved and appreciated.
And seeing the same faces that saw the same performance you did again and again is nice too.  It says a lot about the stability of the local scene.  Yet there are those isolated events when you can count the ones who went in one hand.  Like when I:scintilla played Brauerhouse in Hillside, Il, on October 2007.  I never heard of the town before that performance.  I enjoyed the journey of discovering this place.  Wolf rd, is one of those streets that makes you want to buy a house there.  The trees canopy the streets enough to block out the sun.  The houses are all different from each other, not at all like the McMansions  that are too big to sell.  
  Juxtaposing the familiar with the unfamiliar makes for a wonderful night.  To some degree that happened here as well. Chris Connelly was supposed to headline this night, and unfortunately he got sick.  It was a night that was getting colder by the hour.  There was supposed to be a separate event after starting at 10.  The Hellblinki Sextet was that event, but it got combined with the I:scintilla night.    
I did not intend to go see them since Sunday was a work night for me.  But see them I did and I am happier for it.  

 

No comments: