Monday, December 27, 2010

Eliza Rickman!!



This was at Whistler on a Tuesday I believe. She did not have any CDs to sell. Not the ep which I already have, and no new CD. I was so broke and so that saved me some embarrassment. Eliza had new songs, and so that new CD is still to come. Eliza is a university trained pianist. Steampunk fantasy periods are evoked without effort with that toy piano of hers. In her ragtime trained hands, her nursery rhymes haunt. Eliza corners you with a clear angelic voice. So her lyrics land clean. Her words hit hard just as you are disarmed with how she uses the instruments that are her trademark, like that toy piano. So you feel "Black Rose". For goths, this is like a stripped down, early Switchblade Symphony. Oh, wait. I also said steampunk right? Uhmm, yeah. All that. In some of her videos she uses a kick drum. Sometimes Eliza has other musicians Cello's, violins, that kind of thing. Perhaps it's that ragtime training, or not but her songs have that authentic rust color that pickers even have a name for it. It's that period thing. Ms Eliza
I talked to her and she actually recognized me from before, yeay! That felt nice. So here she is trying the Accordion. Eliza is barely learning and so I find her performance with it brave and admirable.

No comments: