Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Railbird at Reggies




What is it about Brooklyn? A lot of really cool bands are from there. It's almost routine to hear that now. I did not expect the weirdness out of a name like Railbird. They were here at Reggies to promote the CD No One. Right off I'm gonna have this really hard time describing the sound of these guys. But I have seen more and more of their peers, if I may call them that, like Ryat (who has played Reggies), Phantogram,..they combine organically guitar, electronics, and percussion, beats. They're all kind of hard to describe. They are all different animals from each other but they combine instruments and styles that previously seemed like water and electricity.
Live, they were on! The accordion player was coked-out energetic, I don't know if he is in the recording, he was all over the tables with his accordion. And you can't play like that if the rest of the band does not have that natural craziness, and oneness with their instruments. They covered a Cab Calloway song. The one that he played in Blues Brothers. I also noticed the drummer of the band Jeremy Gustin is also the producer. I'm not an expert on drums but he seemed to me very skilled and sharp. They all got it. On the CD, besides Hushaby, I like Strange, it has this sweetness that reminds me of Ditty Bops, only Railbird is far more electronic and far more urban. It has this 50's thing, very slight but there, oh yeah I guess those are the roots I was looking for. The song has some personal resonance for me. I suspect this resonance can be more wide spread with this song, and I think it is indicative of how well received they can be. This hmm weirdness as intangible as it is can appeal to a wide audience without being pop music.
Zig

No comments: