Sunday, March 20, 2011

Wanton Looks





Saturday 5 March, at Quenchers. How perfect would have been if I had made it for all the bands, right. I wanted to see Maybenauts, and The Handcuffs, as well as The Wanton Looks. The infamous Traci Trouble fronts this band. For a start lets say they are kind of like Joan Jett. Imagine The Fabulous Miss Wendy with an all girl wolf pack to back her, to sight a recent approximation. I say wolf pack because you see immediately all their individual identities as well as how good they fit together as a band. They all appeared to have fun. I bought their CD so long ago when they opened for The Dials at Double Door. So right now I have to lean on the memory of this performance to go on about them. And there's youtube as well. They are just straight ahead abrasive and cool, too impatient to be mysterious. Its fast, its punk....I think. Here and there Traci would say shit, and banter with the crowd. Quenchers is so small. Its a bar with a back stage. Having this close in this tiny space spoils you 'cause you get used to that kind of closeness to the moment. From this performance Traci seemed to be unpredictable, spontaneous. There's no fourth wall between Traci and her crowd. Indeed she would get off stage and play her guitar inside the crowd as far as the cord allowed. I nearly got whacked with it, when she would violently turn and swing around. The Wanton Looks finished their set with Electromagnetic Force. I seem to know many friends that know her. I mean she's infamous. I don't intend for it to sound so lewd. It's just to sight examples of how close one can be to these awesome local bands. You know them just a little, and you see the human fragility that we share with them. You identify with them beyond this rock star shell. I learn to enjoy the live performances because they are not rock stars. They are like me.
Zig

No comments: