Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Austra



So on the weekend of Pitchfork I saw Austra for the first time at Empty Bottle. They are this dark-sounding electro band. Wait, Wait.....I said Empty Bottle. Their darkness is incidental and not deliberate so as to not scare off the indy crowd. They are but one Bauhaus shirt away from being a goth-electro band and that would almost put us all in Darkroom. They weren't taking their chances. The two back up singers were roughly dressed alike. The one closest to me appeared to have this unibrow but it's just her make up. My gaze kept steering towards her, because that struck me as so Frida Kahlo. I liked how she danced. She had real stage presence. There is something that feels original about Austra. Lyrics are thoughtful and thought provoking. You can just take out certain phrases as sound bites, but that's for later when you got the CD and lyrics to read. Perfect for goth-clubbing. I mean this is something Neo can really abuse. Very electronic sounding and yet I see all these conventional instruments. Still I'm no musician. The lead singer Katie Stelmanis I assume had this way of dancing. Her hands moved like a witch conjuring something scary from ......something more scary. She wore this gold thing. The crowd was huge for them but I don't recall anyone dancing. I'm still working through the songs. I'd rather post the pictures now rather than wait for the words to describe them to come out.

No comments: