Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Moritat



Moritat headlined this show with Pezzettino. So it's not that often when three musicians that you like are in the same room. I say three because I include Julie Meckler. She did not perform but her appearance is noteworthy for me. My expressionist-film dream-sets can cast these three together easily, sure, but it's nice to see the stars arrange themselves into the constellations we observe. I've always liked how Venus plays the keyboard. It's different from what I normally look for. Aleks/Eva, Kristeen Young, Amanda Palmer, these are keyboardists that are individually dramatic, over-the-top, aggressive and urgent to express their point. All this has the common link of wanting to be observed. The keyboard sounds from Moritat are relaxed and in no rush to tell you anything. The other bands build towers, Moritat builds you a finished basement. The keyboard is deep, relaxed but not boring or slow and lethargic. So the music catches your attention without seeming to want it. That is how Moritat has hooked me with a lot of their songs. And yes Venus does indeed play guitar. If you follow the band you know that her comfort level is with the keyboard. She learns the guitar well. I'm just a fan what do you expect me to say. It's like PJ Harvey suddenly wanting to play guitar.

No comments: