Saturday, June 25, 2011

Moritat and Pezz!




It's not all the time when music that plays in the mind all the time. Bands that only seem to share space in your head, in a dream you half remember suddenly scheduled to play a venue...in real life is awesome. This text can easy come off like a dream, only we are removing the characters from the Magical-Realist/Expressionist film sets of my mind and on the stage at Double Door. Pezzettino and Moritat in the same night. With Julie Meckler in the audience. I always see Julie at a Moritat show. She is friends with Venus the singer/keyboardist. When you know the musicians in the room you see the potential for cross-influencing. I'm a civilian. The most out of me is I'll buy merch when I can afford it. Which is enough for me. Margaret Stutt is originally from Milwaukee. She plays accordion. I've known of her since...at least 2008. I've been to many of her shows. Her lyrics are direct like dialogue to a play, they paint a picture with what is left unsaid like in Walk From Here from the CD Lion. She expresses her righteous anger and then pulls over and dumps the guy out. What is left unsaid, that she maybe driving a car. Pezzettino turns around what can be awkward situations into your most articulate moments. Her finesse is in counter-punching. A common arch is the point of view of one who is wronged somehow and so when live her flashes of anger, sadness, seem raw and unrehearsed. These flashes the blues it took to write her songs. The tax to her heart. When Pezz visits these powerful moments, she does not seem to shield herself with an articulated, polished front. Lyrics hit her and you see it, and you feel what ever she tells you to feel, because now you are included in the moment. She played a lot of new unrecorded material. I don't recall much from Lion. Some old songs were retouched. Pezzettino...Margaret also plays keyboard and for some shows I've seen her play a xylophone. Not for this night, but it's worthy to mention her capacity. I'll post on Moritat Next.

No comments: