Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Rosen Association




Ah, how different the world was to me when I first saw them at Mutiny two years ago. So I saw this band again during Scary Lady Sarah's midweek shoegaze fest. Darkroom is no stranger to The Rosen Association. Any chance I get to see these guys in a small venue I take it. They are scheduled next to play The Whistler in July, another tight squeeze. You see a band under a certain tag like shoegaze and you perhaps filter out those that are repulsed by the description or even just the term. But you concentrate the fans that you have. And I saw a lot of people for Rosen. There is a certain bunch of goths that will go to industrial, goth, shoegaze, dark, indy stuff. They see the same big picture that I have, I believe. The thing about the name shoegaze is that it does not attract goths alone. It gets the people that don't normally go to a goth/industrial/deathrock event. And thats cool. Friends of mine from Panda Riot were there. I've been running into them a lot as of late. They've been busy too. Oh yeah, we are on Rosen Association. The big difference is that now I have the merch, the shirt, the download. The familiarity you get when you can take the music with you makes seeing them live a different experience. More pictures, less video. I tend to soak up the experience more than documenting them with video. I must have seen them at Darkroom three times. So what can I say on them? This band had support from the crowd. We goths love to dance, and we love to support our bands. So we danced as they played the songs we anticipated and a new song. "Emergency Broadcast", and "Drones" are great to dance to. Rosen is more on the electronic end of the shoegaze continuum. Well, maybe I'm just thinking that because Erin plays keyboard........wait, her name is Rachel? Since when? I've been calling her the wrong fucking name? How embarrassing!

No comments: