Saturday, June 4, 2011

EULA




This is who I saw while trying to go see Architecture, Rebecca Scott's other band besides Panda Riot. This was at Subterranean 22 April, a Friday I think. I was too late from them as Brian from Panda Riot told me as he was having a smoke outside. I almost didn't walk in but he mentioned in passing EULA. I said fuck it. So this is something I almost missed. Knowing that makes you appreciate what you find and what finds you. So, EULA is indeed the find that almost didn't happen. They are from New Haven, CT. Based on some blogs I read about them, there is a scene hidden and self-contained. EULA where here promoting their latest Maurice Narcisse. It's not the only thing out, but it was the only thing I could afford. I remember a lot of bands played that night, that I liked. But you can only take home so much. EULA is something I took home and was accidentally on time for. As they were setting up nothing about them suggested how awesome and crazy they would sound to me. They were so casual setting up and so sweet and cool to talk to afterwards. I talked to lead guitarist/singer Alyse Lamb and bass player Jeff Maleri, but that's later after they made me a fan. At the moment when they were setting up, I was still angry at myself for missing Architecture. The drummer from Panda Riot next to me knew who he was about to see and so I trusted this. Loyalty, or frequent observation of your local bands pays off in what they discover along their tours, and what they bring back. If I recall correctly, EULA came because of their relationship with members of Panda Riot. It's been taking me forever trying to describe the music. Where do I start aside from saying I'm a rabid if new fan. There is nothing formulaic about them, nothing that sounded too familiar, which is the case with most of what I dislike. When they telegraph what they say, or how they say before they say it and it sounds like a vague trend unaware of itself. EULA tripped no such wire in my head. This band with it's aggression in the bass, guitar and drums just imprinted a parking spot onto my memory. EULA are not relaxed, casual. They are ready and aggressive, and having fun with it. I'll post a hmm...review of Maurice Narcisse when my writing is not so blocked.
Zig.

No comments: