Monday, May 28, 2012

Is/Is





This was unexpected for me, this gig. I didn't see it coming two days before. I didn't know which specific recording they were promoting and so I got everything. And that indeed changes how it imprints. Sarah Rose sings and plays lead guitar. Sarah Nienaber plays bass, Mara Appel drums,They are from Minnesota and on tour. I don't know which CD the tour was supporting and so I got all three including the vinyl EP Vowel Movements.....that's one letter away from grossing me out, and the full LP III. So this is something that I can absorb now, the one iconic performance, and now the music in random order instead of the order that it came. That changes how one reads the music. Imagine discovering The Beatles in backwards order, how would that shape your impression of them? It's different when you think this can be that one show you see. I think they've been here before to Reggies. You know what? There's no think about it. I did miss it. I downloaded their two free songs to hold as reference, in case they came back and indeed they did. This time it was at Crown Tap on Milwaukee Ave. The problem with that one time is that you have to decide what to get from the merch table if at all. The merch basically competes with the local pizza joints. I wished Veggie Bite was still open, 'cause that would have really competed against the shirt. Eating can also be over-rated. I still wish I got that Prids t-shirt instead of pizza this one time. That one slice made me...throw up.  Where we at again?......Oh, Is/Is.  And so maybe your good with the two downloaded songs. If they are local you can always see them again, and that can influence...how much you don't save. But they are not and so I took my chances with the whole lot, and it's paying off. So Long on the EP This Happening I keep coming back to. Eating Hourglasses I like as well. I don't have lyrics to look at. That's another layer of atmosphere. They are almost like Interpol with a female vocalist, only fuzzier. Sarah Rose's voice is also more distant sounding, detached, and even more assertive, and deep, and a little husky. Interpol at least for a start and departs from there. Allow me to explain that further. Interpol can be spacey, fuzzy and meandering and yet we don't just call them shoegaze.....I don't know. We just don't.  The same as these guys, girls....Is/Is. They have elements of it but I don't believe are in...the full definition of it. There is a directness, a solidity to this group that....is not gazy enough. That's good 'cause I've been using that crayon a lot. There is much to sift through and explore in this Minnesota band, and I'm finding myself liking it.
Zig

No comments: