Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lightfoils/My Gold Mask




So this weekend I intend to see Lightfoils and My Gold Mask at Hideout. The thing that these bands have in common is Chicago goths like them. Yeah, I'm talking to you Lightfoils. Especially you. Both these bands can make goths move in the same Nocturna. Lightfoils can even get the once-a-month treatment at Late Bar on Belmont. Awh, you know which night. Now both bands will get to actually share a stage this Weekend at Hideout. Lightfoils I have more recently seen. Chicago goths that go see stuff outside the box keep their...scene adaptable and relevant, and attractive, and not necessarily pandering to youth. Plus, if you let them know you want them, they will be too good, and you won't be true to yourself.  Anyway both groups have fans in common, and they are local Chicago acts. And they are not exactly young bands, or at least their members have been playing music for a long time. My Gold Mask were once Bang Bang. Lightfoils is full of music vets. How do these bands keep alive goth culture ( if I don't think they put themselves into that box)? You just have to look outside the box to keep it alive and adaptable. Eventually you will notice that you have taken the box with you. It means looking for what is compatible with your dark romantic esthetic without necessarily committing to the big G.  Many bands will have the goth influence because it was so heavily identified with 80's and 90's. So its very easy to take from that influence. Sometimes you draw water from that pond long enough for the wildlife there to like you. And the local chicago gothic wildlife like MGM and Lightfoils. I know this because......just fucking because. I hope to see them this weekend at Hideout.

No comments: