Monday, June 4, 2012

Panda Riot

Panda Riot, I post on them a lot but really fuck it.  In the attempt at saying different things about them with each new performance, I suppose I must say the same fucking thing. I don't even recall which Saturday I saw them. It was at Bottom Lounge. I especially went to see Elika. They played first and PR were next. Oh.... why do I go see them so damn often? Hmm ...fuck. Through them I've seen so many others. Lets see. Over the years there is a list of who I can tether Panda Riot to. Magnetars....haven't seen them in a very long time. Lightfoils, Kodacrome, Eula, b.c.e.. OK that's a small list...wait. I can throw in Magic Key, School Of Seven Bells and Warpaint. So it's always an evolving education with the Pandas.  Oh yeah, and they are playing more and more new music.
  They have a new EP coming out. It's called Serious Radical Girls. I suppose that does not save me still from repeating the same old fucking praise. For this release that they will do this weekend they will perform with other bands that I am very curious about. I made it late to Lightfoils/MGM at Hideout. The redeeming value in this is talking to friends that made it on time were outside on the Hideout patio. It made me anticipate this coming weekend with Panda Riot, and many other things further in the horizon. I want to say, yes what those specific things are that came about in the course of conversations, casual yes, but I keep it to me for now. It feels not right at the moment.....Oh look Panda Riot! Yeah, this was about them anyway.
  There is more and more new work from them that still have yet to be recorded or available just like that at Reckless. You can only see it when they play it. Ye Old Fashion way. That very line I can apply to a lot of bands I see and just like here, its part of the fuel that drives me to see them. I'm grabbing at sand and I can only hold on to so much. Then you start to describe it but really you are describing the memory of it. So there is a lot that PR perform that is not recorded.... right. You know, I'm still in delight that they have a live drummer Jose'. He's awesome, there is this expression on his face that betrays his joy for performing. For me it's an honest barometer. It's no show. His glances are to his bandmates, if he looks up at all. PR did not always have a drummer. Jose' has been with the band for...I think over a year. I had a nice conversation with him about our common roots in Mexico, mutual appreciation of Alla'...we went on.






  The following is how I describe the performances of new work, my memory of it. Right, so PR have this lean into the darkness, hmm. Maybe you will eventually disagree with how I describe it, but follow me anyway. Their type of wonder to me was sweet sounding and not dark or spooky until now. Depth, but no sadness. "Suddenly I'm happy just to be!" is hmmm, bright-sided wonder. Happy on the inside and outside. These new songs still have that happy vibe to them but now innocently describe the darkening shadows. There is a Songs Of Innocence, Songs Of Experience lean on it. What you don't say casts a long shadow....like a child describing a darker world. You know it's worse than a child can imagine. This is what I kinda get when I hear the new dark rose oil wonder of PR. What does Blake have to do with it? Hmmm. I keep thinking of The Chimney Sweeper whenever I hear the new stuff. Yeah, really. And then I plastered them together here and it kinda works for me.

No comments: