Thursday, March 21, 2013

Panda Riot at Hideout

They finally have shirts coming for this next show at Township. Figuratively it feels like I've been wearing one forever. This release party for Panda Riot at Hideout I used to mark my birthday with some really close friends and my sisters. Northern Automatic Music is the new release that they have been playing from it for quite a long time I think. Some of them sounding familiar. There is something to an official release event that gives everything a new life. To some it does not exist until its a CD in their hands on the way home in the car.....right after seeing them. Its different when you have it available instead of exclusively trusting the memory of the live show. Now is when it counts with more physical product. And I hope now they have shirts.
  Organizing stuff comes with the risk of things not turning out. For so many reasons I should not have made it beyond the door. The show was sold out. Cory was there and he got me in. He played twice that night, first with Lightfoils then Panda Riot. Along the way I talk to Joselyn and Julius of the Walking Bicycles. Its great to see them. They got a show coming at Empty Bottle. Its easy to dwell about how completely awesome that show will be. Its the greatest effort not to charge that moment to be special, but it is.....Still lets stay focused and know that they were at the Panda Riot gig. So I can say that during my birthday moment I saw them too. Things were still in flux while I talked to the Bicycles. Gladys, Gustavo, Lionel were already inside waiting and my sisters were yet to arrive. Well, eventually we all made it inside to enjoy the show. The people I invited are exactly the sort I think would like shoegaze. And they did. This was the first I've seen Panda Riot sell out a show.
  They were playful and at ease with each other, unguarded almost sloppy. It was nice to see them bask in it. Jose was showing his usual blissful glow. Rebecca always smiles like she knows something you don't. It was good to see those expressions on them. This was an audience they knew loved them back and so they relaxed. Cory, the bass player will be doing this for Lightfoils as well, two bands.  I see him at Late Bar I feel cool and at ease for going. I can feel unguarded. I got a good feeling when I learned that he would play bass for both bands. They are all in related side projects. Rebecca Scott is in architecture. Some times Jose plays drums for them as well. I can go on. These guys are fucking work horses and its stupid luck that I get to live in the same city as them. .  Someone living elsewhere would have the recorded work but not the regular local gigs that I get to see. They've seen small crowds. I was happy for them, would still be if I had not been able to enter....really. I was happy because each moment that occurred did so with the reminder that it did not have to happen. The world will turn just fine if I don't see shit. So I was partying with that extra layer of gratitude. Birthday celebrations don't have to happen. Nothing need go your way.
  In The Forest captures attentions easily. Its both within the parameters of what you might expect out of them as well as a total departure. Meaning, that you can expect something more to like from the band you like already.  Yet it will still feel new and awesome. The percussion feels more assertive and urgent while still proving typical capacity for wonder and relaxation. The percussion's merge to the center has allowed for more boldness from the whole as in Good Night, Rich Kids. Does Mtwn Glass sound familiar to you....kinda? Its because its in the Far And Near EP that they released I think in 2009. Its not entirely the same song. I like both versions, and they are different enough from each other.  I'm always thinking about how great this song or that song will work for a movie, this is the feeling that is provoked when I hear Black Pyramid. Your favorite underground, underdog protagonist just saved the world. got the job, did the thing you never thought he was capable of, roll the credits and cue Black Pyramid. Everyone walks out of Facets feeling happy. Panda Riot will continue to play for this newest release at Township Friday 22 March, with new bands to introduce me to.
Zig



 Alright, it was not my intention to post this one twice.  I don't know how it happened.
 

No comments: