Thursday, March 14, 2013

Property Of Saints at Township






I've been seeing a lot of Township as of late. Saturday  26 January I saw Property Of Saints there. I saw them only one other time at Abbey Pub with Natalie Grace. There was something about them to like that you know can manifest later.  And so you remember them. And after missing them so many other times I finally caught this show at Township. Theirs is a sweetness......for not over powering the first time, it lingered. The name stuck.  Youtube videos are helpful in retaining my impressions of seeing them. Township was filled with that love for them. I think they remarked on how many people they recognized. Their pace is casual, alert and naturally seems to underplay this coolness. While you are trying to figure them out for yourself they too busy just being. Then, you can't help but fall into liking them. Not in a big rush and soaking it all in the park on this bike ride, Abigail Large sings and plays lead guitar. The clarity of her voice makes it easy to follow words and indeed you want to. Her voice is beautiful, serene. The songs aren't.....slow. As they sink in, you like them more establishing a long term familiarity. Christi Batka plays bass, the engine of this machine. She can match muscle car engines with Sybris but chooses a steadier pace. Wonder is casual and optimistic, a steady drive with a capacity for urgency. I just saw this video of them playing in their own place and it reminds me of New Order/Joy Division. Whiskey Programing is the name of the song. No....not depressed. The blood can pump fast when needed. EavesDroppers is another I keep coming back to. Now they are all falling on top of me Lazarus, 77th Street. For those that run into their shows a few times, it starts vaguely and pays off. Now I want to see them. I' ve been slow with posting and as of this one, POS have already did Empty Bottle with Moritat and have Burlington 25 March....I hope I don't miss it.
Zig

No comments: