Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sick/Sea at Reggies


So these very dear and close friends of mine invite me to Reggies to see Sick/Sea. Or rather, these dear friends had a performance.....that I was late for....but I arrived on time for Sick/Sea. I believe they are from Mc Allen, TX., a border town north of Reynosa, Mexico. At least I think its Reynosa. Just to begin this, I'm really impressed with the Audrey Scott's voice. The beautiful articulation of what she says, and how she expresses outrage over being wronged, wounded by a trusted someone. I'm going by my initial imprint of Parasite. The first but not the only song to grab me. You can't help but feel the seriousness and anger that simmers with "I get it", each excuse she airs out withers upon mention.  Body blows that hurt when you hear "....when your heart is weak".  Real damage upon the deserved. The CD they are doing this for is called Moral Compass. It has 5 songs. Don't you roll your eyes like that. I think calling the CD like that is bold and seeks out a common moral reference point. Wouldn't we all like to be this well articulate when faced in a situation their music speaks about. So how she expresses in song...or how the band does it is something that I think can sell when exposed. And its not always about outrage and addressing a wrong. They can be cheery too. Not one of them wore black that night at Reggies.  No Bauhaus, or Siouxsie shirt in sight....or at least on them. That would put them in a "goth/industrial" section at Reckless Records......good company by the way....they do sell them next door, Reggies has a shop. Quite the novelty having this place officially on the south side. Well....we were on the northern end of the south side of Chicago. I was taking this somewhere.....The first song I looked up was for the video Robot, and that sounds full of nice wide-eyed optimism. You feel the warmth of the sun on your back. And that song also has me believing that........I believe Sick/Sea has something that can resonate widely, not in specific niches, or even the specific niches I like. Its not just my warped neurons. I can hear Audrey's voice all day. This resonance I feel has a long shelf life, meaning I can still see myself listening to Compass  for a long time not a passing fancy. I believe they have songs that they have not recorded yet. Well, I only got the one CD and did not ask them about any thing else recorded. Hell I barely had enough to buy the CD they had out. But I believe there is more in the tank from them and I look forward to seeing them again in Chicago. Just by hearing one song, I knew the well was deep, and I was happy to have been lead this way by my dear friends Gustavo, Gladys, Lionel.....and I think Yvonne and Zoila were there as well, but perhaps I'm thinking of another night at Reggies.

Zighttp://www.sickseamusic.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know its funny but so many people express the same thing only different ways. Oh, and I have to agree with you. Thanks, nice article.
Darryl