Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Rachael's Surrender

Clean, sharp and bouncy is the flexible synth pop of Rachael's Surrender. RS from ten years ago sounds more disheveled dark pop rock.  They played before AVP. This is Re uben's band. I don't recall at this point which tracks I heard. With newly reopened ears I go back and listen to what I collected of them. I am happy to see them on a stage again, this time it's Township. By now as I write this I missed their show at Debonair. Indeed that bothers me and so that urges on me writing this down. I don't just like layin' pictures and nothing to say about them. I am compelled to write. So I gotta recall and put this whole bloody narrative together. I want it to read like they do in fucking NPR. .....that hurts...when you roll your eyes. Damn near kills the ambitious nerve. Yet here it is a humble recollection of a live RS gig. And did I tell you I went to Whitby with Ruben! The pictures are so because I did not use flash. I research my collection of this band. A Kiss And A Tale is ten years old! Its on their CD RS.  Its quite the leap away from Asteroid Love Song. So there's a distance between the two. That's the experimental nature of the band. Perhaps in hindsight its of no surprise. Reuben I see in many of the shows I go see. That means lots of bands with many different genre affiliations, styles and sounds. Alright, and maybe that don't mean shit or maybe its a tell. We've traveled great distances to completely submerge ourselves into our shared subculture with costumes and everything. Maybe that don't mean a bloody thing. I can't help but read those files. It informs the why and the how. It marks time. What were you doing in 2004? Does it feel like its ten years yet? What do you still listen from back then? How big was your cell phone? Noting the passage of time is not to say what they released back then sounds dated. I can't help but see these foot notes when I see them perform before me. Asteroid Love Song is effortlessly dance floor friendly. Think of Ayria only sweeter, still bassy. Yes, heavily electronic. You know, my awareness of that wanes when I see them live. And that's the main point really. I saw them live. They are actively performing their work. I can mention them in the present tense. The voice of Liz is angelic, and her lyrics are clearly heard, and worth a deeper listen away from the dance floor. Prohibition Suite puts me right in the period with just the fewest words, and invites a deeper read. Certain songs from their whole catalog I think have taken hold locally.....or at least become notable signature tracks of theirs. Kiss for me is one of them....The River! And from Asteroid,  Peppermint,  Low, Shadowloss,.....I think to be sold on any one is to eventually be sold to all. Anyway, what prompts this post is seeing them perform these tracks actively on the small stages in Chicago.
Zig




No comments: