Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Walking Bicycles

  I'm glad I saw them in this new context of authors reading segments from their recently published books. Most notable was Irvine Welsh, the writer of the novel Trainspotting, read from his latest novel that was just adapted to the screen, Filth. They later showed a trailer to the movie. This was really grand for me to see the band share a stage with this. Trainspotting movie references come easy to me especially around the Bicycles. And now the room was full of fans and readers of the novel. The place I think was at its fullest when Welsh read from Filth. It would have been nice to see some of that audience stay for the Bicycles. Unfortunately most of that crowd did not stay. It would have been nice if they did. The worlds that create in music, or literature in this case for me were way close, right there in the same fucking Bottle. So very few of us caught the entire experience. The Bottle seemed to hold three different crowds at once, the book reader crowd that came to see Irvine Welsh. The band before Walking Bicycles had a sizable crowd. Most of the readers sapping away. Hmmmm, and then it was the more-than-a-handful that stayed for Bicycles. Fuck it. More for me. I got the bloody extra massive large shirt with the logo. And one for the niece that despises me. I guess this is to show that I have faith in the longevity of this band's music.  Anyway, everyone came with a focus to see what they wanted to see and then vanish. I kind of understand. I arrived early because I thought Walking Bicycles were on first. It did occur to me that I can leave soon after. Having said that. I wish some of them readers stayed but you know what? I was here to see who I wanted and everything before was background. Right......I can genuinely call them friends. I feel at ease chilling with them outside as Joselyn smokes a last cigarette before going on like its Buenos Aires. Her voice is like Lori Petty only deeper. And so when on stage it has a natural authority.  My dreamlike recollections  of them.....I suppose...... will have that favorable bias. Wait.....wait. Not like a bloody hagiography. Don't fuck this up like this. What I mean is that their narrative is no less valid that those of more well known bands. Why not them? Theirs is an interesting underdog narrative. The kind of stuff that corridos are made of. By now I am more familiar with their new work, even beyond the two released songs, So and Badada. I knew I had the playlist some where but I cannot find it and I think I threw enough text together to put the pictures up anyway. This night was to be practice for their upcoming gigs. Empty Bottle we are fortunate to have to see all these gigs. I feel a real sense of ease there. At the same time its one of them places that is known all over. To have this place for a live practice after Irvine Welsh read his work is the coolest. What ever we all felt over the dwindling crowd, that is how my magical realist/expressionist mind will remember it cool. Whirling Dervish is a track surviving from their previous work. They always play it. I guess now it seems more at ease among the newer tracks. Its like realizing a resemblance to a relative. In part because of the drummer, their sound is like a boxer that can hit with speed, power and precision. The punk in them makes them sound powerful, messy and defiant. There's also an agility to them. Its like a parkour guy gracefully ascending up a flight of stairs. I always get an image like that when I hear a jangly bass like New Model Army. Anyway, lets just put the pictures.
Zig




No comments: