Friday, June 13, 2014

Blackstone Rangers

I saw them at The Hideout. Got the shirt. Got the CD Descendant Of, and all of it goes into the veins. I mean who doesn't want that on a fucking shirt. In Chicago, well, one must be careful, but we will get to that. This music will continue to kick out new doses well into the years when other bands emerge into the foreground. As always I gotta go on about the detours I took and took me before finally arriving at the show. I had to run an errand, that was ok. What was not ok was the bloody spider that made me stop, park and kill it....and then compose myself before driving off again. I made it to more than I thought I would. Strolled in....was not challenged and so....slowly...melted into the crowd. What? It means I could buy more merch! I did, but I left my camera in the car. So these pictures are from the Township gig. I am happy and fortunate to have these modern methods of preserving the moment and music. I'm glad to see their tour finds them orbiting with other bands that seem trending upwards like Ringo Deathstarr. The Rangers capture attention....hell each song demands it until you have 6 tracks all screaming for it at once. I'm barely reaching Judas Tree and I was already hit by Descendant. I love the shirt. Can't wear it absolutely everywhere in Chicago. Blackstone is a word, heavy with baggage from old Chicago gangs. Just to reach Youtube videos of the band Blackstone Rangers I first have to sift through gang videos. I mean fucking really. Its not on them at all of course. The search was still worth it. I saw and interview with Ruth and a blunt smoking rapper, Tunk. Which had me recall I did talk to Ruth briefly after the Hideout gig. The interview is worth a look.  When pressed to describe her music Ruth settled on distorted pop and shoegaze. I understand the hesitation to use those words generally. They carry baggage that slowly overshadow their face-value meaning. So we struggle to avoid saying the words 'cause of the baggage.....no?....ok...I'm just giving new names to the constellations, don't mind me. I would say their shoegaze is distorted as well. No...I'm not taking the piss. Its Pop sharpened and cleared the fog. "Pop" is a tell for saying they know how to keep your attention. I mean how many times did I hear "Into the sea", and I'm still into that track. Their sound has always moved with a purpose and held attention. You never get that lazy feeling that makes you that slow moving tourist all full of wonder, taking your sweet time and all that. You are woken up yes but to night-time club music that feels right always. Basically they know how to hold your attention to something weird. Somehow shoegaze is earning that couch.   Their interview is very insightful. They are just having a conversation that reveals casually their thoughts on, the importance of being self-critical as musicians, ....Dallas. I understand you have to say something ....... anything after or before you use pop to describe your sound, no...no....it's plain fucking white rice at this point. You gotta call your kind of weirdness something. And shoegaze is getting kicked out of a lot of couches as of late, and someone stole her last copy of the Reality Bites soundtrack. By the time I saw them, its like shoegaze has been living in the Ranger practice spot. At one point I think Tunk asked about a song, Frozen Echo.  Her explanation includes references to David Lynch and Twin Peaks. I see Twin Peaks in just about everything. I see through Twin Peaks tinted lenses. The Artist To Artist interview helps to keep the music in the present mind. It makes hearing Nights/Days on the road a real joy. Its a highway song. Endless Sky is more for meandering around a happy tourist of the everyday.....alright so they do one of those, so what. I like it.

   The more distorted their pop sound is, the more compelling it naturally becomes. And the shoegaze can use the distortion as well.    So within one band we have the two ends of the continuum....lets say (at 3am). As I hear their new release I go back to their older work with refreshed ears. Everyone does this to some degree I suppose. It just gets easier now. Its no longer the grand physical task of looking up the vinyl to play...or the CD to play...its a matter of looking for it in your ipod. Hell, we can do all three. I just hate it when the vinyl, or cassette does not come with out the bloody download code. Jezuz, I fucking went on. Alright, I'm putting the crayons down....now. Sorry.
Zig

No comments: