Friday, June 6, 2014

Tiny Concept

This is who I've only seen once in a near empty Empty Bottle on a Tuesday. It was just this one girl solo act stage named Tiny Concept. Her name is Letty and she's from France. Her work is described as minimal, lo fi post punk......yeah. I remember being completely sold on her cover of Devo's Mongoloid. She put it together, looped and performed all the guitars. She turned this fun song into a deep, thought-provoking meditation. I'm sure it hurt to see a fucking near empty place with just me like a deer in the headlights gawking at her.  I bought her CD before she left. This was one of them shows you recall for knowing how few went. A hollow place has a specific sound, you can't just get it from a silent audience. Its one of them performers you see once and you think about a lot here and there. That was years ago, and now forward to roughly April 2014, I check out a link shared from a youtube video of her. Its one of them times I needed to hear that cover of Mongoloid. I can just lose myself to the daydream to it. I downloaded another 6 track Ep Proof Of Concept! And its fabulous! And it brings it all back, that one iconic show that almost no one else saw that night in Chicago. TC seems to have a smoke treated husk to her voice. It throws a shock of weirdness on top of the lo-fi minimalism. Henry Barnes has this odd bouncy energy, that begins at Good Night Blue Moon. I just picture Charlie Brown and The Peanuts all dancing to this. It just has this odd sweetness. You just have to take the songs together because by themselves they are short. She slows down the weirdness to almost sound blusey with Dreamland. Then you're hit with the Mongoloid/Allez Tous Crever combo. Somehow it just makes me bounce around like a muppet. Tiny Concept deconstructs this Devo classic and makes it into this deep meditation. Live she must build one piece at a time, stretching the track but completely making it worth it. I hope she gives Chicago another chance. And yeah I checked. These are the only pictures I have of her. And aside from youtube videos and their links. Information on this band seems hard to come by which makes her all the more mysterious.
Zig




No comments: