Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Videotape at Emporium.

 Emporium shows stretch past 11pm.  So this was kind of made for me. Glass Ceiling, and I've been hanging from it upside down since. Using Placebo in the same sentence of describing them puts them in a distance from what comes to me when I hear it. In this space they share with Broadcast. They are very spacey in their aggression. The Creeps as of late has reminded me of Placebo, in its kinda aggressive, assertive pace. Walking In Circles.....has me fucking stuttering all over again. I have to compose myself its so awesome. Its steady pace intimately begins and slowly includes more instruments.   Its a spot of light that slowly reveals itself as a sparkling baroque chandelier.  I can't even recall which ones they actually played.


This is perhaps my third time seeing Videotape this year. This was a Wednesday, after the Walking Bicycles gig. I can list some significant shows that I was late for.....there was this one basement gig at some home at U of C...never mind. I gotta let it go. Seeing them live sparks interest in the recorded tracks. The music absorbs and reveals on a longer cycle. Hell,  I think I just described how this works for all or most of what I choose to listen to. I look for what I caught that last time. I do not recall if they performed new work. I think they did, but at this point that is speculation. I was just happy to see one more gig. And I can relax. I have their latest work....and the one before, and I'm too broke to get anything else. I can listen with the comfort that I already have it documented. I have reached that point with this band that if they got something out new, shirt, vinyl, CD. I'm gonna want it.





 Sophie Leigh I mostly recall wearing black, different variations of it. She has a smile that is bright enough to use during construction season at night. This is the voice that delivers those sounds that I crudely represent with the names of other bands. Videotape is brilliant and I should not be among a few that know and like them. Oh all these are on This Is Disconnect. If you miss Miranda Sex Garden here is Videotape  with Chicago shoe gaze tracers that you can only see in black light. If you have developed a gag reflex upon hearing the word "shoegaze", this band is still for you.
Zig

No comments: