Monday, August 18, 2014

Walking Bicycles.....To Him That Wills The Way



  The really cool thing about catching this show was noticing all the different bands that attended. I saw them from Bellwether Syndicate, Lightfoils, Moritat, all active bands. I saw Venus and said "That thar' is Sarah and William......" All these bands that actively swim along in my head and not all the time  are they ever in the same venue. And Sarah being a DJ I wanted her to be aware of Moritat. Oh and Toupee played before them and I caught all of their show. I bought their LP the first time I saw them and....wow! But this is about seeing Walking Bicycles and finally having To Him That Wills The Way....and the long hard road that willed it to exist. I was unusually productive writing wise that Monday 11 August. I finished a post I had in the queue that I thought I would never find words for. The whole time I knew that after this its Walking Bicycles time at a Free Monday at Empty Bottle. I'm so unusually focused on this writing that my usual procrastinating habits barely take. This is when some very close friends debut their work. I'm giddy like fucking De Niro in Goodfellas. Someone close to him is being made. Too happy to see what already happened.  I'm almost done with this post on White Hinterland when I found out about ......Robin Williams, and all this on top of what happened in Ferguson .....that happened while I went to see Lightfoils I believe.  I think about how fortunate I am at the moment, because the storm of tragedy can hit anyone.  Cops can be awful bastards, and sadness can be overwhelming. I don't understate to be cute. I could not believe this was to be the harsh light of tragedy that shines the little stage I chose to see Monday night. So thats more mindfulness to carry around to Empty Bottle. I needed to see and hear something with a substantial load of "fuck you" brand of defiance. And Walking Bicycles packs that into an LP vinyl. Hearing Vitamin Z on the ipod had me drag out those extra reps on the pull-up bar in the park like the Bartendaz!  Really...I was stuck on six and while hearing.....Its one of many that kind of breathe this air with a natural urgency. An engine that is a  rolling thread of calls and responds between the bass and lead guitar weave rapidly in sprints. Its like an animal that can stalk and then sprint in short power bursts. Now that I have the actual downloaded LP, I can kind of relax to be honest. Its not this elusive future recording. Many musicians I know have not recorded their most awesome material because it costs money.....fucking anyway, me and these rants. I can really enjoy these tracks as recordings that I can listen to and carry around. Walking Bicycles in my ipod are in close proximity to Warpaint, We Are Hex. I was nearly wearing down So and Badada.  Now I got all these songs crashing on top of me. Its Boethuis, Warpaint, The Messenger all have this natural urgent rapid blood flow. And Jocelyn's voice has this howling, haunting authority. War Paint starts and goes between this intimate whisper like tone this leap off a cliff. All these impressions are just sort of streaming from me. Back to the performance. It should not be taken for granted. Its to show that people can survive and come back, I find all this very inspiring. And so seeing Walking Bicycles is of special significance to me. Some of these pictures are of previous gigs.







No comments: