Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Sexy Fights at Multikulti

 
  The Multikulti....my apologies for misspelling the name of the place. Its on the fourth floor of the building. I walk in and take the stairs up instead of the elevator. A fascinating venue to walk around in. There is a main room that seemed to have been used as a conference room. That's where the bands play, and there is also a separate smaller space where there is sometimes a DJ. In the corridor there is a food vendor. It smells nice. Did not buy any still. The floor seems to be in slight disrepair, well not the floor. Water drips from the ceiling near the women's washroom. I always wonder what the place was like before they turned it into a music venue. The view from the window where the bands perform is nice, facing east. I once saw Salem Bitch Trials there. For Sexy Fights and before them Spaces of Disappearance . It was my first time seeing them, finally. I must say it would have been an incomplete show without Spaces. I stroll in past 11pm Saturday, and wow I actually made it on time for both bands.
  
  
  I was finally glad to catch Spaces. They are local and active. While this was Sexy Fights first gig in about a year, Spaces have been busy. Easily this could have been my fourth time seeing them if I had been on time. I believe they played Frontwoman Fest at Burlington. Multikulti is actually a great venue to finally catch them in. It just feels like this unusual place.  Like its not supposed to be a music venue. The bands you catch there feel more special, more illicit.
  This was the second time seeing SF for me. I did not check the time for when they played but if I walked in after 11pm in time to see Spaces, Sexy Fights must have gone on close to 12 or past that. As they were setting up the singer looked tired, like she's been waiting. One hand holding her hip and all that. I only say that to acknowledge the effort the bands put in their shows. If I stroll in all fresh, perfumed and showered at a certain time, they have been there way the hell longer....and sometimes way the fuck longer.  Its the nature of it. I'm just glad the place has couches all over the back. When my friends from Killer Moon played I went so early, by the time they went on I watched from the couch all exhausted nearly half asleep. I arrived home close to 3 am at that time, but anyway back here to Sexy Fights, and what they sort of bring me back to.
  Disco music to me was something older relatives listened to during the mid to late 70's. They were at the right age, the right window of time for this to be their music. If you were just a child at that time, the imprint of disco would be fuzzy and perhaps idealized. To be at the right adult age means you experienced or witnessed the good and the bad. Its the shitty disco that has to remind you of the oil crisis of 1979. In the summer of that year, they had themselves a disco bon fire at Comiskey Park.  I still can't stand Disco Duck or the fucking disco version of Star Wars, or Fifth of Beethoven, and I was a kid then. But if you are a kid at the time, chances are you will filter all that out, until what you have left is that unreachable ideal. The lovely Ms Jordan Rose don't look nowhere near 40. Hell no one in the band does, and yet I'm effortlessly taken to that idealized, mythologized disco dance floor, with no rust of decay. Yet theirs is not a deliberate recreation. They are products of this time. I see them in the company of a whole lot of bands that at least for me have that refined modern disco sound. Golden Filter, Glass Lux, Glass Candy, Bring Your Ray Gun.....hmm, I know there where more. I list them here because I don't want to repeat this whole damn paragraph accidentally in the future for the next band that sounds remotely like disco to me.
Zig




No comments: