Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Sentinels

  Parking was such hell for this show at The Mutiny. I parked a good long hike away from the place, the whole time half believing that I missed The Sentinels entirely and arriving was just another training exercise. The walk to the venue was long.....fuck it. Training exercise, don't rush. I can split my ankle all over again on this ice on the sidewalk. I don't recall the cold being that much of a factor. A slight wonder lifted me to observe what I normally drive by, the businesses around Mutiny. The bowling alley, the record shops along Fullerton. This time I walked and observed. As it turns out, I was on time, at least for that. Adele...from Axons....played before....as Puritan Pine. I missed that.....that stung. I've noticed Adele in a lot of shows. Ever since that first time at Township. Sentinels were barely setting up. I think they just reopened Mutiny. I believe I walked in as uniformed firemen were inspecting the place. That would suggest The Mutiny is a dive bar that occasionally is really a dive bar. I wondered if they still have that huge ass urinal in the washroom. Here is where I first heard many bands. The Rosen Association, bliss.city.east. My last time seeing Salem Bitch Trials was there.
  The ceiling feels low, like the further you walk in the more in feels like it caves in on you. I have Sentinels 2011 release Music Of The Plesistocene as what I go back to retain the memory of seeing them. Yet I have not listened to that CD in a while. Not deliberately avoided, I just happened to lose track of them. So dry, unglamorous, and abrasive....wait, I'm saying that's a good thing. I went not to see if I like the band. I go because I'm already a convert. Effortlessly their sound naturally filters out common tags. I fondly recall my first time seeing them at Township I believe. A find I did not expect hours ago that night. The other moments are notable for their own reasons as well. I think Dan the Fan was at this Darkroom show of theirs that like next to nobody but ourselves went. For this night at Mutiny there was a massive crowd for them. Not so tight that I could not see my way to the front, but the crowd for Sentinels was good. I was happy for them to see them continue. I do see myself buying their new CD, I was too broke at that time of this gig.
Zig





No comments: