Monday, November 14, 2016

Fielded/Heavy Dreams

 
  On Wednesday I saw Fielded and Heavy Dreams. Fielded once lived in Chicago. Some shows stick out.   I recall once seeing her in this really cool DIY venue on Chicago's southside. This venue just seemed to leave curious relics that speak through its decay the story of what was. In its brief rebirth it hosted Fielded. The venue is no more, the building itself I think still stands. The place was this hazardous playground with a roof with a view of the ass of Chicago's skyline, a truer and a more familiar sight. I believe it was the Pink Line was right there. Fielded made this place a wonder to behold. She was the flashlight that made it worth another look. From there I've made it a point to see Fielded live every fucking time that I could and I made it in time to see Heavy Dreams. And I was into them as well. They got two songs up on their bandcamp, and they are great. I will make an effort to see them at Hideout this 30 November. They are a local Chicago band and I am happy to see they got future gigs to go see.
  Fielded is Lindsey Powell a solo electronic artist.  Its noteworthy to say that she has been in a lot of projects that I have grown fond of. I saw her in Ga'an. And she's been in another band named Festival. And its all brilliant work. I'm actually fortunate to even have all that work collected, stupid accident. I bought the Festival CD a long time ago at Free Monday at Empty Bottle. And I really did not listen to it for months. When I did.....Pow! I can't even remember about Ga'an....but I end up with a download and a T-shirt. Even as she does not live in Chicago now. She once did and I'm happy that she did. I got to stick with Fielded. I'm flying out on tangents. There is some weirdness that leans dark with a dancer's pulse. At first, her earlier work leaning more weird couldn't help but make you move. For this show at the Bottle, I could feel the bass vibrate my organs. Its modern, German Expressionist in outer space- dance music. Dark and with vibrant color in exaggerated, artificial looking sets. Lindsey's voice is beautiful and powerful. It aims to hypnotize. As time passes Nine Thirty Thirty endears further beyond Arms Of Heaven and Chapel Of Lies.  I gave it time and Gabrielle showed me a hidden room and so forth.  For this Bottle gig it was new work.
  She was brilliant. Every song had me mentally note until fuck it. I was into all of it. They are a band I want to keep seeing. I keep saying they when its just the one person, the amazing Lindsey Powell. Gone sounds so relaxed and at ease.  I Choose You uplifts like gospel music without the need to invoke The Almighty.....and damn it do I need some uplifting right now. That specific track reminds me of  White Hinterland. That is someone else I saw at Empty Bottle. Alright so....Lindsey's voice is clear smooth and powerful. You feel that dance pulse just with her voice. She repeats "I choose you" and it feels like she chose you to  "rise and walk". Reign is the most dance-floor friendly. It amazes me how different all tracks are from each other. Often after a long period of familiarity with a performer's music, you start to see patterns, intangible signatures. You start to learn how a person puts a song together. That is not the case with Fielded. None of the kids look alike, at least for me.
 Seeing Fielded was a high point for me.
Zig










No comments: