Friday, November 4, 2016

Impulsive Hearts/Born Days/Fauvely





 
  It has been so long since I was able to write this from my own computer. Finally, at long last. And perhaps that is why this is so long winded. DC Torium is this new DIY venue I went to see interesting bands debut. People that once belonged to other bands performing new work.  Impulsive Hearts headlined. Part of the urgency to finish this post was in anticipation of their show at Quenchers on Fullerton and Western on Sunday 20 November.
  Fauvely is the wondrous new project from Sophie Leigh from Astrobrite and Videotape.  I missed her set entirely so I'm listening to her Bandcamp. I remember Melissa Harris from architecture. I arrived on time to catch her new solo project as Born Days. And I was blown away by that.
  Chill and haunting, a Twin Peaks vibe in every track with just her voice and guitar...or keyboard. So with minimal elements each song still has its own signature sound. Actually everyone was minimal that night and it was all good. It was how signatures seem to get revealed, when its just you and one instrument.  
  Having missed Sophie's Fauvely set, I really listened to her work on Bandcamp. And so the pictures I have of her will be of her Videotape days. And while I was looking for those, I also found some of Melissa's from her time with architecture. Get Mine hits you in its own way from Muted. So you hear depth that intrigues immediately. You want to hear them over again. Fauvely is dark, minimal, and yeah dreamy....as she describes on Facebook. But seriously she is awesome. More from her Facebook....Under genre, is dark, dreamy sad songs. And well, yeah. And that makes them deep and interesting to explore. You catch the fossil of sadness, a distance from the moment. Its interesting to see the music self described as sad because it makes Fauvely deep and mysterious. Some tragedy is too much, and you stay away. Some of it intrigues and the best shit is written off it.  Elton John is right. Sad songs say so much. For Sophie's new project, if the songs are sad, they are also interesting to explore like watching Ghost Adventures for the urban exploration, and not for their fucking ghosts. The thing about calling something haunting.....your implying that something has an element relating to a period, vaguely....the past. And there is some modernity that Fauvely haunts. Shoegaze was not even a color I wanted to use when describing any of the music. It just did not occur.






.
  Born Days is actually who I walked into. Minimal as it is, a natural dance pulse still remains to warm the cold electronics. You just want to do Audrey's Dance........from Twin Peaks to this. Its kinda that style of coolness and I just can't let a Twin Peaks reference escape the mind like that without expressing it. It just feels unnatural.....plus, they are bringing the show back. There is a whole festival dedicated to it.....
Anyway....I saw Brian and Jose from Panda Riot in the audience. In the front was Adele from Axons. Melissa Harris is Born Days. I remember her from architecture, the project she shared with Rebecca Scott from Panda Riot. Architecture was a great band. I only capitalize here because it's in the beginning of a sentence. Normally I go by how they do it. And for some reason they did not capitalize the name. Never asked....some mysteries remain. Their sound was dream pop/shoegaze. Its not even a thought when listening to Born Days.  This for me is slower, thought-provoking cold wave....naturally cool.
  The headliner....Impulsive Hearts....I can't seem to get that image of surfing, or anything care-free, beach related .......beach volley ball, pretending to drive with a blue screen in the background when I listen to Impulsive Hearts. Its Annette Funicello's beach party movie with Impulsive Hearts in the soundtrack. Its the weirdest thing for the mind to wander into when considering Impulsive Hearts. Its more her music than her lyrics that invoke these images in my head. Its the signature that I notice on her and keeps me wanting to listen. It reminds me of summer in the warmth of the day. So its naturally caffeinated.  I was already a fan since hearing the EP. Adele from Axons, once casually praised her moments before she went onstage at Frontwoman Fest. The Jedi spoke, and The Force is basically her intern.  And that was it. Sorry In The Summer is an absolutely brilliant LP. Its printed on bright nuclear pink vinyl. Danielle Sines played her music alone that night at DC Torium. Normally I see her with a full band. Playing alone reveals, especially without the other instruments or musicians. I noticed myself listening more. Your mind fills in the gaps. "Here is where I would hear drums"....and so on. I was already a fan, so I'm sold.
Zig

No comments: