Monday, November 7, 2016

Lightfoils/Tender Age



  



     
  The Double Door is the perfect venue for a band to aim their ambition...the soon to be closed down Double Door. You really are more mindful of this place for every minute you spend in there. Its the perfect size for a medium/big venue. It can still be small, and it can still have small. I saw Beat Drun Juel here. That happy place where bands aspire to play has Double Door as the fantasy venue. Its medium big, not impossibly massive.
 
  This here is a vaguely recorded memory of seeing Lightfoils and Tender Age. I missed most of their set.....Tender Age that is. But what little I saw got me to buy their last record. It urges me to finish this post because Lightfoils are playing Empty Bottle 10 November Thursday. I am already familiar with Lightfoils, and I am happy to see them continue on. Sarah and Philly Peroxide were there. They were to later have a Shoegaze/Dream Pop night at Slippery Slope where I saw Zee Shan. He plays guitar. For this performance I noticed his Nocturna shirt.  That is goth. That makes them ours!  That was so damn cool of him. Its one thing for a goth regular to wear that shirt. All the guys from the band I have seen around in related events, including Sarah and Philly's night at Slippery Slope. It takes place once a month on the second Tuesday. Damn....that's election day this time around. What will I be dancing to that night?
 
  I forgot what day I saw this. I wanted to make it on time to see Tender Age as well. I made it to the last part of their set. It left an impression, it was enough for that. Cory, the bassist for Lightfoils and Panda Riot was on stage as well. His enthusiasm is always infectious. Tender Age played Chicago before, with Panda Riot and it was a show I missed for lack of money. From Tender Age I bought the record that I will hear when I have a functioning record player. Meanwhile, they have a great deal posted on Youtube, fleeting performances captured. Fleeting performances....they carve a lasting imprint. I note the friends from other bands in the audience for Lightfoils.
 
  It takes a fucking bottle-neck of effort to keep music going. Everything that I see is because I think its disappearing. To the id, everything is disappearing and so you best go catch it.  I feel fortunate to get to know them through their music, an important part of them, their creative side. The end part of that, even. I share with them a sliver of time that is golden.  And from that lens glance inside. I just....I just glance.  I like to acknowledge that the music has a human pulse. There is a lot behind the gig.
  How do I separate them from lets say, Panda Riot. Lightfoils to me leans toward Asobi Seksu, and Panda Riot more Broadcast and Cranes. Now I will take a moment to pull my hair out as you all say "well who's Cranes, and Broadcast".
  Lightfoils are bassy and urgent as Panda Riot is patient and cool. Lightfoils don't wander as much. Between the Panda's and Lightfoils is Cory, the bass player. I guess that is why I think of them together. He lights the fire in both them asses.
Zig

No comments: