Friday, February 3, 2017

Fauvely

  Its been around three separate gigs and Fauvely has really grown on me even as it grows and evolves further with each performance......yeah three. Oh, wait. I missed the first one at DC Torium. Ok.... This time I saw them at Cafe Mustache. And I was on time. There was another show I wanted to hit, but it looked like this here conflicted with it, so I just committed to this one show with Ms Sophie. There is just something about the Fauvely songs that draws me. It's not music I would sell to everyone. As enthusiastic as I am about all the music I listen to, I am careful about who I believe I can present this to, who is pre-sold already. If you like Angel Olsen, and cried when Cross Record moved to Austin from Chicago and failed the drug test because you listened to Coins the night before, add Fauvely to that constellation of stars.  All these names are tethered to Chicago in some way, but that is not my point. They do something with the sad and make it powerful, and beautiful. They shake you from that dance delirium, slow you down and make you look inward or outside with a new wonder. Delicate fragility and softness can be sharpened into powerful tools.  Slowing you down for the mystery instead of passing it by is something Fauvely does as well as the previously mentioned sister bands.  Cafe Mustache I've been to a few times. Videotape did an acoustic set there with another band Rock Falls.....and they are, or she is great as well.









And I was late for a show with Circuit Des Yeux. Oh...and I saw Lykanthea there too with all these books as background. Yeah, this place looks differently every time. Every performance was at a different spot in the cafe. So with every time I walk in there I feel like I have to reorient myself like its my first time. Its not a complaint. It adds to the wonder. This time it was in the back in a proper stage. There was a violinist as well as Scott Cortez on stage with her. So they played two songs from Astrobrite. I think that was spontaneous. I don't think the violinist saw that coming but she played her part beautifully. So this was a great show to watch. I mean fucking wow. Another Monday....that for a few moments did not feel like a Monday.
 
  Sophie as Fauvely is slower, heavier and more dark than her work in Videotape. That band is a different animal. Her voice sad haunts from that abandoned house freshly visited by the guys of Ghost Adventures. The poor bastards left in tears, but not out of fear. For this ghostly voice made them see inwards. Y'all get it? Right? Can I let the metaphor go? I don't like milkin' it like some industrial farm.  I don't know which old stand up comic said this. His trick to get people to shut up and listen wasn't to get louder but to speak almost in a whisper. It was a gamble but it became part of his signature style, people did shut up, and listened. And I loved Videotape! It certainly is vastly different from Fauvely. A creative person will create. Watch Me Over Complicate This, is the name of the upcoming EP out this March.
I cannot wait for that!
Zig

No comments: