Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Old Adage


  I know this post is way, way fucking late. This post was in the queue for a long time and I thought it would just write itself. I could not just let it sit and fester.  This was unexpected. The Old Adage from Detroit ....actually Monroe, Mi., and this is their first tour, and their first appearance in Chicago. They are a brother and sister team, Mimi and Nino They are Latino....or at least that is what I assume with their last name being Chavez...... and they closely resemble friends of mine from my old job at the bank....and thems are Mexican, so there. During grammar school they were forced against their will to take up music courses. There was no choice in the matter, they come from a family of musicians. What is interesting for me is when you force someone to be a musician....force...does not always take.  But it did with them, but I think it was already inside before force was ever applied. They have been writing music since 2008, and have evolved for many turns with changes to the name of their band until we reach what I got to see at Hideout. That year still feels like two minutes ago. Its near the end of the first decade of the millennium and yet it does not feel like it in some ways. In others indeed you feel the distance, its a whole recession ago and everything else.  The name for them,....curious, because they are not ...old. This was a night that Hideout put them on the stage with Axons and Spaces Of Disappearance. I saw who I intended to see and was fulfilled and could have gone home. Staying to see them intensified an already brilliant burn of a night. But this post took forever because I could only find this picture that I forgot I post on my facebook. I should have just wrote about seeing all three bands instead of writing a post on each. So yeah I bought that CD Matches. Every song is great. This was one of them nights when all bands made the night cool. You remember the impact like a combination. The Old Adage, they are a brother and sister team. I fondly recall dancing to what I was hearing. Everything just effortlessly induced movement. I would love to hear this at Neo. I took pictures but I had to take the moment to dance to what I heard. And their music has such a full presence when you hear it live. Silly Sam has this tight leash on a dog that just wants to run in the park. They got this muscle car engine....a monster that they restrain without sedating it.  So they keep your attention even in still moments. I was clapping with everyone else to Bawl. I was so glad I barely had enough to buy Matches.. the CD, They had shirts....I shall wait. I hope to see them again.
Zig

No comments: