Sunday, May 24, 2009

FFM




At first glance, it seemed odd of me to go see a band that so blatantly identifies with house music, but FFM brings with it a sophistication to a form of music that I have shunned for a long time.  FFM played Double Door last Friday 22 May.  In a way upon entering the venue I was entering a culture that was foreign to me, a goth.  The dancing was different as were the clothes.  Yet I did not feel that much out of place.  This house music crowd seemed to me more like that which I've seen in places like Sonotheque  on Chicago Ave, urban and sophisticated and not the thuggish ghetto house I grew up around.   And the dancing is....well I wish more of them would go to Neo.  In thuggish house venues it's mostly people grinding on each other.  OK, on to the band FFM.   
I barely found out about them early last week.  They are local and I believe they are well traveled.   The band members are Michaela, Adam and Lindsay, the lead singer.   I was hooked with the video "Time Bomb", and it was what made me want to go see them live.  If one for an instant would drop the artificial barriers between the genres then I believe I can sell this to people that listen to Ayria.  Ms Lindsay is the sexy electro house answer to Jennifer Parkin.   I think I can sell this to industrial-goth people.  Imagine if they knew of this band FFM.  It should not be just me who likes this.  Patrons of Neo can like this the way they like I:Scintilla. 
We have these artificial barriers that we can see right through, and cross pollinate between them.  It's happened before.   I have seen people dance at Neo the way they do at this night at Double Door to see FFM.   Actually, this isn't far different than industrial.  It's  completely compatible with that scene.  And this band FFM is local.  I'm so happy about that.  I can safely say that many of my favorite bands, indeed most are all local midwestern bands.  We got all kinds of sophistication, diversity is wide, but you got to go after it.   Well, that whole rant was in defense of the bands I see that I believe deserve wide subcultural recognition.  That sounds a bit big headed, but I say that in all humility.  Well, this band FFM did not have that problem.  Double Door seemed to have a heavy yet permeable crowd.  I'll post again about the CD.  It's awesome.  I'm so sold on it.
Zig 

No comments: