Wednesday, May 6, 2009


This is Von Iva.  They played Schubas 5 May Tuesday.   I've never seen them before, live.  Months ago I scribbled their name somewhere after reading about them, never expecting to see them.  I don't recall the specific words that made me recall them but it all sounds terribly good on paper, you know.  They just seemed so remote when you read them in Venus...was it Venus?  I don't recall where.  When you read them first they are so far away.  That was nearly the extent of my research.   Sometimes I don't do it 'cause I know I'll like it, and I should save money and not spend idle time looking up bands.   
And yet it is these same idle times that are the most memorable and meaningful, and always in the context of when they happened.  These moments enhance the good times and stand in defiance of the bad.  So there is a purpose for this escapist mechanism.   There is a subtext to these pictures, and it involves what state of mind was I when I saw them, and what state of being.   These events do not happen in a vacuum.  
  So, Von Iva came here to Schubas in support of their new CD "Girls On Film".  Jillian Iva, the lead singer is tall, and she throws herself around the room with the energy of someone more compact, like the girl from Kap Bambino.   The music was so disco, and decadent sounding to me.  I think it would have an appeal to fans of Golden Filter, Long Blondes, and The Dials.  I would place this band along that continuum.  I took pictures and video, but I so wanted to dance.  Jillian is a dominant performer.   She was all over the stage...and on occasion climbing the walls, and one time on the floor with the audience.  Kelly Harris was furious on the drums, like sprinting the last leg of a marathon.  And it's Ms Becky's keyboard skills that are still playing in my head.    "Girls On Film" was the only CD on the merch table.  I would have bought the whole catalog.  That's how I go broke.    The next concert to see is Puerto Muerto.
Zig  

No comments: