Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pezzettino last Friday 22 May 2009



 After missing Pezzettino the last time, now it was a mission.  When you identify with the band somehow their performances matter far more than escapist entertainment.  Seeing the very performance is to witness a kind of social commentary on the culture that both artist and fan share.  To the fan the artist/performer articulates better what the fan thinks and feels.  So off I go to see crystalized in performance what is in my head, what is in my id even.  My ritual before going almost matters as much the performance itself.   I shower, get clean, get presentable.  I don't want to smell bad.  I put rose powder on the shirt.  Rose oil on me, then rose lotion.  Every thing has to be rose.  I take my hygiene seriously.  I do this ritual for everyone. I want to get presentable, even if I look the same all the time.  Oh, yeah, this was about Pezz.
  She was going to play piano at this Wicker Park shop that has all kind of things  made by independent artists.   It's on Milwaukee Ave.  There was this piano in the middle of the store and she was invited to play it for the store's opening.  When I found out that she was playing that Friday 22 May, the mission was on.  It was early at six in the evening.  I drove, I thought I was late and so added to the sense of urgency.   Sometimes, that state of mind can keep you from enjoying the ride.  The fast moving traffic took the edge of the urgency.    I've had some time to explore Pezzettino's Cd "Lion", long enough to know which songs play effortlessly in my mind.   Kind enough she was to say to pull up a chair next to her.  She remembered me from before.  At first it seemed as if I was the only one there to listen as people in this store walked around minding their own affairs.  And then she played "Walk From Here", and I noticed how the intensity of that song naturally commanded attention.   People noticed.   This song is not an isolated diamond in the rough.   And the piano is not her only weapon she wields.  She takes to the accordion like PJ Harvey discovering the piano.     
 The piano is this monster exclamation point that re-enforces the articulate poison penned lyrics.  "Walk From Here" resonates with righteous anger, and it is indicative of the rest of the CD.  Righteous anger, not reckless, and not whiny anger either.  After a while Ms Pezz was also talking with some of the colorful patrons of this store.  All that stopped and chatted with her were artists in other fields. It was real nice to just be there to witness it.    Artists/Musicians take this enormous risk in believing in their art enough to attempt to live off it.  They do it in the face of a world that tells them to be good little conformist-consumers.  There is this massive tide that influences one to not pursue the art.   Those that stand and walk against this tide, even as these artists go broke are heros to me.  Pezzettino is one of these artists/soldiers.   I could not just lay all this on Ms Pezz as I sat next to her.  Did not want to freak her out with these intense words.   After all it's all about her performance not my comments on it, but as I have said, it is important to go see these emerging artists not because one day they will be famous stars......in my world they already are rock stars.
Zig 







No comments: