Tuesday, June 2, 2009





  Aleks and The Drummer opened for Telepathe  on a Friday at Empty Bottle, late May.   I arrived late for them.  They were the main reason I went!   This picture here is from before, when Kristeen Young opened for her.   I moped about the Bottle kind of seething at missing them.  Before the night was over I bought Telepathe's CD "Dance Mother".  I liked what I heard on their myspace page, I liked what The Reader said about them, but the luster of it faded in light of me being late and all.    Now that all this is in the past tense I can say that I'm glad I got the CD.   It really is pot-head music.  There is the first song that plays in my head all the time now.  I already have Aleks CD, the thing now and hell always is the live performance.  Back to that night, Telepathe begin to set up.   It's the first time I see them.  One is in a T-shirt and another is in a hoodie.  They are pretty.  The girls look like they can easily blend in the Empty Bottle's indy-rock crowd. 
   How Aleks dresses up is always fascinating.   It's never tacky.  I'm convinced that the more people (from inside and outside Chicago) know about Aleks and The Drummer, the more they will remember her sense of fashion.  There's nothing wrong with that just ask my aunt Siouxsie Sioux . Before everything even the music I think, Siouxsie had her fashion down, and we love her for that.  I believe so can it be for Chicago's ms Aleks.  An icon of fashion yes, as well as this awesome musician.  
  Alright, so, Telepathe set up and I'm wondering if even I should get their CD.  At this point, saving money looks just as good.   They start and ....wow.  It really is the coolest pot music, The Reader was right.  I took pictures but I mostly danced.  There's documenting and there is riding the moment, being in it.  I was ok with a few pictures.   The strange and wonderful thing is that I don't know which songs they did on stage.  The CD I started hearing a few days after, and I almost didn't get it.  As I danced I noticed the crowd get into it.  There were some that seemed to already know Telepathe and that was part of their enjoyment, the fulfilled anticipation.  As for me, no anticipation, just pow.  There were those that stood around but a lot danced.  Part of the fascinating thing for me is the way they dance.  Different from how it's done for FFM who played Darkroom recently, and different from goth clubs.  This is what I notice, how people dance to what, wherever I go.  The one common thread I think is how people felt free to dance how they like.  So it was for that night with Telepathe, at Empty Bottle.  It's very dancy dreamy kind of music.  It doesn't lull you to sleep.  In performance you wanna dance.  Think of your favorite Cocteau Twins songs and imagine them electronic.  Damn, this last sentence I could see use for a lot of bands.
Zig  

No comments: