Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fluffers



I've been going to this place on Milwaukee Ave called The Whistler. There's no cover. The place is small and intimate. As soon as you walk in the stage is right there to your left. You can almost trip on it. They got chairs and a table right there in front. I've watched the bartenders work and they seem to really know what they are doing. Still, I only get a cranberry juice with no ice. This place has had Puerto Muerto, Coins (which is one is the lead singer of Sybris), and now Fluffers. I saw them on a Tuesday 16 June. It's hard to believe they don't have anything on CD officially yet. They sounded so good. They sound somewhere between The Dyes and Miss Derringer. This band has many interesting details, like their bass is played out of what appears to be a banjo. It so works. And their lead guitarist rocks. There is a lot that can leave an imprint here once you see them, and hear them. You will remember that guitar, for the solo moments within the songs. And then there's Ms Quin the lead singer. I don't know anything more about them than what I captured that Tuesday 16 June. I can start to describe their sound as an electric Puerto Muerto at times. Electric Americana, perhaps? Even at their most casual songs their guitars commanded attention. They did some covers that they totally owned like that Star Wars song. That Tuesday was this casual night, and yet grander still for its in these odd nights that bands I like perform.
Zig

No comments: