Tuesday, June 9, 2009

St. Vincent





I missed Alla', but I caught a good....small part of St. Vincent, enough to take some pictures and videos.  Millennium Park is fucking huge.   I could have seen St. Vincent at Metro, but I was feeling lazy.  And I was so burnt out from the shows I did see this past week like Panda Riot, FFM, and Telepathe.   I do feel fortunate to be able to see bands such as these.  
  St. Vincent is a recent discovery for me.  It feels like I'm jumping on to the band wagon late.   I understand this is the second CD that ms Annie Clark releases as St. Vincent.  It's really cool that Alla' played to the same audience that came to see the lovely ms Annie.  They were selling the CD Actor, actually both.  I only had enough to get the one.  I don't think I actually listened to the CD until a few days later.  So my first real experience was the night I took these pictures.  Perhaps I want my initial experience to be these live gigs.  I know all the songs on "Actor" will eventually imprint.  The one that is doing so right now with impunity is "Actor Out Of Work".  I was jogging when I played this and it's better than Red Bull injections.  I ran longer and harder.   The words to it are quite the thing to hear, but without the lyrics to read I can only assume that in part I create what I hear.  I like Caifanes/Jaguares, and for this one song I thought I knew the lyrics to it until I read them.  It was like I made my own up.  What I believed I heard was only just that.  I even liked my own better, blasphemy I know.   Perhaps it is the same with St. Vincent's "Actor".  It's just this powerful dancing track that is thought provoking (for me) like it's from John Lennon.  If that's overstated well I did say for me right?
This makes me want to get the CD previous to this one but all in good time.  This band's music is in a neighborhood that has Telepathe and SVIIB.  Hell if you like shoe-gaze this is a good leap of faith.     
  Taking these pictures, capturing the moments and going on about them here is my defiance to these harsh times.  I don't write here in a total vacuum.  For a lot of the artists that I go on about like mad, it's the same.  They don't produce in a vacuum, their existence is more delicate perhaps.  I post their defiance as my own.
Zig

No comments: