Tuesday, June 1, 2010

ami Saraiya






I've been catching a lot of her live shows this year. There is something you can only get from seeing the same band a bunch of times. Each performance leaves it's own imprint. Each venue also leaves a stamp. Indeed some venues are just small bars with tiny stages...if they have stages. I was on a barstool across from Ms Ami one time. It felt like I was intruding on the band's space. I almost had to lean back. I go to these small shows 'cause to me they are not small. I like the little differences you get from the CD's. Her whole band is awesome. I'm starting to have a much more deeper appreciation of them. It's just Ami's name on the whole thing but, the performances are a product of all her band mates. I notice how intricate they all sound, and how necessary they all are to Ami. She's played a lot of bars....I don't mean real venues like Empty Bottle and Hideout. I mean just bars, and I can think of entire sub-cultures that would support this. If you're a fan of steam punk, I think I can interest you in Ami. She has that same retro-forward thing. Only Ami does it without the costume. All kinds of related festivals can want this chick. Projekt Fest, Dracula's Ball, Dances Of Vice. I 'm in utter disbelief that her fan base does expand into these subcultures. It's just that something about the Midwest. Out of it comes out all kinds of music that it ignores. There's a new song that she plays that's not in any CD yet. It's called "Cattle Prod Hands". I feel very familiar to her music, yet I don't get tired from hearing it. This song is a further evolution of a sound that I've come to anticipate from her.

No comments: