Saturday, June 5, 2010

Natalie Grace Alford





After missing her shows the last 2 times. I finally reached one on time. It was at Bridgeport Art Center on 35th street, in the middle of an industrial park I think. There was a lot of art on display at that place. And it is huge, like it was a factory once. The building looks old and sturdy. I'm glad they found this use for it. The artwork on display was more interesting to witness because it was all juxtaposed against the working class-ness of the building. Still, I don't recall any of the art. For me it was a nice background for Natalie to perform in. She was outside as I was walking in. She recalled me from before. How nice. You can't miss her with her white wig. Perhaps it's me, but wigs have become a signature of hers. In Wicker Park her sense of fashion fits right in. On the working-class south side, she sticks out. Well, to be fair so did many people at Bridgeport in that night. No, I'm not taking the piss out of her, or any one. I'm happy to see them have such events as far south as 35th. It means the south side of Chicago is indeed cultured and weird. For me that's awesome. I almost don't have to take the highway. Anyway back to Natalie Grace.
The last time I saw her at Beat Kitchen she played alone, yet she took on the tasks of an entire band all on her own. This time there was a band mate playing the keyboard which freed her to focus on the singing. And it makes a difference. She expressed more in her voice and body language. The music she writes kind of obliges one to put both balls into it. And she still takes on the tasks of an entire band. I think any one that hears her music will have a vague cultural familiarity to it. She uses her voice as an instrument....as several instruments. Like a cappella. For me I hear some doo-wop, and motown. I do not know if it's deliberate from her. Is it a matter of what inspired her to sing? I did not ask. Ms Natalie so reminds me of those old doo wop bands of the 50's and 60's, and she pulls out the timelessness of those styles. It's in almost every song, but each song is different. They are siblings, not the same song with different clothes. Part of the theater is watching her build each song one vocal track at a time. I suppose she can have the relevant parts to each song pre-recorded and ready to go, but that would take away from the organic process of each voice chiming in one barbershop chic at a time. And these uhm, voices can go high or low. One vocal track is deep and bassy, and they go higher from there. The creative well that Ms Nat draws from is deep indeed. I feel fortunate enough to have her demo CD but she has enough material to record another. And like an Argentine boxer, after her gig is done, she steps out for a smoke. Nice!
Zig

No comments: