Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Pack A. D.





Another awesome band at a Free Monday at Empty Bottle. Originally I went to see Geri X at Martyrs but I was too late for that. I recalled that The Pack A.D. were playing as well so off I went to salvage the night, and wow! I feel fortunate for seeing them. Locally, they remind me of White Mystery, all bluesy and rough, and they are just one guitar/singer and one drummer. Non-locally they remind me of The Ettes. PJ Harvey even has some songs that are more bluesy like this, but hell this is about The Pack.
I caught most of the show, I think. Finding parking around Empty Bottle is getting harder even on a Monday night. That's how you can tell a lot of things before even arriving. It does not get that way if no one showed up. Early weeknight gigs filter out all but the fans. The band was certainly happy to see such a good crowd for a Monday night. I believed they remarked on how that does not happen in other places they've been. It was clear the audience was there to see them. Well it makes sense in a way. On your third CD tour, no cover. Your fans will come. There is something about being in a room full of the converted. They create the tide that can influence and enhance or even taint your experience. What they see coming, what they anticipate from around the corner hits you with no warning. Someone points to the sky, and I notice instead the Joy Division shirt that person is wearing. If what you are pointing to is meant to hit me, then it shall. And converted I became that night. Their live show was amazing. More so because the singer Becky was sick, and she soldiered on. That is one experience. As I'm writing this it's the CD's that are converting me a second time. It's bluesy music that is easily recognized by the casual ear, yet does not sound too familiar, nor too tired. I don't know that much about The Pack A. D. I think they've been here before to Hideout I think. They are from Canada, and they are promoting their third CD "We Kill Computers".

No comments: